2024 Tremor vs. 2023 Tremor vs. 2023 Raptor

Parkite

Reaction score
Hi all - wondering if anyone here can help me decide or has any considerations around this. I've been debating the above three options. Given the current market environment, the pricing for all of these options is more reasonable than they have been in the past, and I've been watching them stack up at the dealers near me. In Utah alone, it looks like there are 50+ 2023 Tremors sitting on lots right now nearby. And I'm coming away from a weekend in Las Vegas where many of the dealers had 10+ Raptors sitting around too.

Here's how I'm thinking about the three options:

1 - 2024 Tremor w/ 402A. ~$69K at Invoice-4% (from Granger TBC). From what I've heard, it sounds like the order books aren't open yet, but I'm not in a rush. This is currently the leading option. I do a once / month road trip from Northern Utah to Southern Utah, and Blue Cruise would be nice to have for that trip. That road trip is one of the primary reasons I'm getting a more practical vehicle vs. my current Wrangler Rubicon, which is painful to drive for hours on the highway.

2 - 2023 Tremor w/ 402A. ~$67K utilizing X-Plan at various dealers. I can use the X-Plan (MCA) and get one of these. I haven't found the exact config I like - looking for BlueCruise (which is harder to find on the 2023s). The downside is ending up with a ~few K of random stuff I don't need / like (Moon Roof). The upside might be there is a bit more pricing flexibility (perhaps down to ~$65K if I find the right dealer & config)? The upside of this vs. Option #1 is I am not sure when the 2024 Tremors will be built & the fact you can't place an order for them right now introduces some risk.

3 - 2023 Raptor w/ V6. ~$80K assuming MSRP and a base model. The price difference here isn't a barrier - in the end, we're only talking +15%. I really like the styling of the Raptor, and reading the Tremor vs. Raptor thread from earlier this year, I am sitting somewhere in between the two. One of the downsides back then was +$10-20K dealer markup. It looks like that has mostly disappeared given the market. Without that, would it change people's minds? I don't do a bunch of towing right now (with my Wrangler :) ), but would like the option to. My off-roading is mostly dirt roads (in southern Utah), deep snow (in northern Utah), and some minor rock crawling. I am not jumping sand dunes... but I probably do more "true" off-roading than most?

BUT - coming from an easy-to-maneuver Wrangler, the Tremor already seems fairly large. I haven't driven a Raptor yet, but feels like it would just be tough to park, tough to put in my (normal sized) garage, maybe not worth the hassle for an edge use case + better styling.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you need to tow anything? Raptor has a pretty low cargo and towing capacity. It's like 6" wider when parking. Insurance is likely going to be much higher.

When I priced my '23 Tremor on a lot for $4k under MSRP, and the Raptor was $8k OVER MSRP, it was an easy decision for me.

I skipped the sun roof, didn't want the weight penally, cost, or maintenance issues.

If you don't tow and plan to do some high speed off-road stuff, the Raptor makes sense. If you want towing capability, easier to park and drive, I'd get the '24 Tremor.

I did not get the blue cruise because I don't like that your hands have to stay on the wheel, there's a camera watching your eyes, and lifting the truck goofs it all up.

Last edited:
Hi all - wondering if anyone here can help me decide or has any considerations around this. I've been debating the above three options. Given the current market environment, the pricing for all of these options is more reasonable than they have been in the past, and I've been watching them stack up at the dealers near me. In Utah alone, it looks like there are 50+ 2023 Tremors sitting on lots right now nearby. And I'm coming away from a weekend in Las Vegas where many of the dealers had 10+ Raptors sitting around too.

Here's how I'm thinking about the three options:

1 - 2024 Tremor w/ 402A. ~$69K at Invoice-4% (from Granger TBC). From what I've heard, it sounds like the order books aren't open yet, but I'm not in a rush. This is currently the leading option. I do a once / month road trip from Northern Utah to Southern Utah, and Blue Cruise would be nice to have for that trip. That road trip is one of the primary reasons I'm getting a more practical vehicle vs. my current Wrangler Rubicon, which is painful to drive for hours on the highway.

2 - 2023 Tremor w/ 402A. ~$67K utilizing X-Plan at various dealers. I can use the X-Plan (MCA) and get one of these. I haven't found the exact config I like - looking for BlueCruise (which is harder to find on the 2023s). The downside is ending up with a ~few K of random stuff I don't need / like (Moon Roof). The upside might be there is a bit more pricing flexibility (perhaps down to ~$65K if I find the right dealer & config)? The upside of this vs. Option #1 is I am not sure when the 2024 Tremors will be built & the fact you can't place an order for them right now introduces some risk.

3 - 2023 Raptor w/ V6. ~$80K assuming MSRP and a base model. The price difference here isn't a barrier - in the end, we're only talking +15%. I really like the styling of the Raptor, and reading the Tremor vs. Raptor thread from earlier this year, I am sitting somewhere in between the two. One of the downsides back then was +$10-20K dealer markup. It looks like that has mostly disappeared given the market. Without that, would it change people's minds? I don't do a bunch of towing right now (with my Wrangler :) ), but would like the option to. My off-roading is mostly dirt roads (in southern Utah), deep snow (in northern Utah), and some minor rock crawling. I am not jumping sand dunes... but I probably do more "true" off-roading than most?

BUT - coming from an easy-to-maneuver Wrangler, the Tremor already seems fairly large. I haven't driven a Raptor yet, but feels like it would just be tough to park, tough to put in my (normal sized) garage, maybe not worth the hassle for an edge use case + better styling.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I just purchased a 2023 402A for $10k off MSRP in Houston. Good deals out there now.

Do you need to tow anything? Raptor has a pretty low cargo and towing capacity. It's like 6" wider when parking. Insurance is likely going to be much higher.

When I priced my '23 Tremor on a lot for $4k under MSRP, and the Raptor was $8k OVER MSRP, it was an easy decision for me.

I skipped the sun roof, didn't want the weight penally, cost, or maintenance issues.

If you don't tow and plan to do some high speed off-road stuff, the Raptor makes sense. If you want towing capability, easier to park and drive, I'd get the '24 Tremor.

I did not get the blue cruise because I don't like that your hands have to stay on the wheel, there's a camera watching your eyes, and lifting the truck goofs it all up.
I think I'd like flexibility to tow things, but at this point I am not sure practically how the difference between the Tremor (10,900lbs) and the Raptor (8,200lbs) will impact what I tow. I know that with my Jeep JKUR we were massively constrained (3,500lbs) outside of teardrops. Given this is brought up a bunch though, there must be a lot of campers that fall into that >8,200lb but <10,900lb window?

Agree on pricing - that is where now that Raptors are ~MSRP (or I've even seen some discounts off MSRP) I wasn't sure if it changed the trade-off.

I also wasn't entirely sure what "high speed off-road" means... I will drive a bunch of desert dirt / gravel roads - practically does that mean I will be able to go 55mph in a Raptor instead of 45mph in a Tremor at the same ~stability level (so I get ~10mph more)? Or does it not really make a difference unless I am hucking off sand dunes?

I just purchased a 2023 402A for $10k off MSRP in Houston. Good deals out there now.
Nice - that confirms my suspicions that there's even more room to go here. The one I looked at the other day was:
  • MSRP - $61.1K + $7.5K 402A + $1K Bed Utility + $0.5K Torsen Diff + $0.5K Trailer Tow + $1.8K Dest Fee = $72.3K Total
  • X-Plan Price - $67.6K (so $4.7K under MSRP)
  • Another ~$1K of dealer junk that they said they would be willing to waive
(The X-Plan did take the Doc Fee down from $599 to $75 or something, which is nice).

Bottom line though it sounds like I could get even more... which does potentially increase the savings vs. a 2024 to be more like ~$7-8K... which becomes a bit more interesting.

I’ve had both (19 Raptor and 23 Tremor). I like the Tremor quite a bit, appreciate its inderstatedness compared to a Raptor, and love the new tech (compared to my 2nd gen Raptor). Having said that, I’d choose Raptor if they were within $10k of each other.

The base Raptor features are very similar to a 402a Tremor. I’m also a no moonroof guy.

I’ve had both (19 Raptor and 23 Tremor). I like the Tremor quite a bit, appreciate its inderstatedness compared to a Raptor, and love the new tech (compared to my 2nd gen Raptor). Having said that, I’d choose Raptor if they were within $10k of each other.

The base Raptor features are very similar to a 402a Tremor. I’m also a no moonroof guy.
Why would you chose the Raptor if they were close in price? The off-road capability?

Did you find it practically hard to park / drive around given the extra width? That is one thing I have to admit kind of worries me. If it was exactly the same width as the Tremor, I would probably do it just given the styling + option-value of slightly better off-road. But I also don't want to find it frustrating to drive for the 80% of the time I am on-road. It will be my daily-driver in addition to road-tripper in addition to off-road vehicle.

I’m not a fan of the stock Tremor suspension and upgrading it gets expensive quick. I’ve yet to bite that bullet, but I’ve wanted to since a few hundred miles in. I’d take the Raptor’s plus the extra hp, adjustable steering modes, exhaust modes, and sweet steering wheel with paddle shifters for +$10k. The difference was $20-25k when I was researching/purchasing.

Now, I do not tow anything. I just use my trucks to haul crap around. But I do live in the country and drive windy, rough, country roads daily.

The Tremor is easier to get in and out of my garage, but the Raptor wasn’t that difficult. I never had an issue driving it on road. Parking in public spaces can be an issue, though.

I’m not trying to push you one way or the other. Just giving you my opinion. The Tremor is great. The Raptor is better for the right price.

Having said all of the above, Raptor hate is a real thing. I had my passenger side window shot out with a BB gun while driving. People cannot stand to see you pass them and will let you know it. Way more than a debadged and somewhat inconspicuous Tremor. And you will get a lot of “let’s race” offers.

Blue Cruise does not require your hands on the steering wheel in most cases. My front end is leveled 2 inch AS and I have had zero issues with BC.

Last edited:
Blue Cruise does not require tour hands on the steering wheel in most cases. My front end is leveled 2 inch AS and I have had zero issues with BC.
Do you like Blue Cruise? I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but I do feel like if I’m going to spend $80K on a new vehicle it should at least have parity tech to what Tesla has had for a number of years now… would make that 5-6hr interstate drive to the desert a lot more pleasant I assume?

If it is terrible, then that would open up a lot more options. From what I can find, less than 5% of the dealer ordered 2023 Tremors have it.

I’m not a fan of the stock Tremor suspension and upgrading it gets expensive quick. I’ve yet to bite that bullet, but I’ve wanted to since a few hundred miles in. I’d take the Raptor’s plus the extra hp, adjustable steering modes, exhaust modes, and sweet steering wheel with paddle shifters for +$10k. The difference was $20-25k when I was researching/purchasing.

Now, I do not tow anything. I just use my trucks to haul crap around. But I do live in the country and drive windy, rough, country roads daily.

The Tremor is easier to get in and out of my garage, but the Raptor wasn’t that difficult. I never had an issue driving it on road. Parking in public spaces can be an issue, though.

I’m not trying to push you one way or the other. Just giving you my opinion. The Tremor is great. The Raptor is better for the right price.

Having said all of the above, Raptor hate is a real thing. I had my passenger side window shot out with a BB gun while driving. People cannot stand to see you pass them and will let you know it. Way more than a debadged and somewhat inconspicuous Tremor. And you will get a lot of “let’s race” offers.
Very helpful reply - thank you!

Love my Tremor and got a great deal on it. If the price was similar though I would have gone raptor, they look cooler. The price was not similar. Still love my tremor. Wish it was wide like a Raptor.

Do you like Blue Cruise? I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but I do feel like if I’m going to spend $80K on a new vehicle it should at least have parity tech to what Tesla has had for a number of years now… would make that 5-6hr interstate drive to the desert a lot more pleasant I assume?

If it is terrible, then that would open up a lot more options. From what I can find, less than 5% of the dealer ordered 2023 Tremors have it.
It is a pretty cool feature and whenever I go on a long drive I use it. Hands free driving and an update is coming where the truck will change lanes for you. The only thing is you cannot look away from the road for to long or the truck will start yelling at you, it's almost like having another wife in the truck. That said, I wouldn't get rid of my wife or BC.

Here are a few things that might help you with your decision.
Do you want a V8 or a V6.

Yes, there are tons of 402A V6 equipped Tremors sitting on the lots of dealers all over the country but nowhere near as many V8’s.

2024 Tremors don’t have the Dynamic LED headlights like the 2023 Tremors but you can get a factory installed Warn winch if that interests you.

It’s a bit too early to tell on the Tremors but Raptors seem to hold their value better.

As far as Blue Cruise go and only you can determine this but, is the extra cost worth it if you’re really not going to use it as much as you think?

Yes, Tesla’s have their own version of handsfree driving but, you really shouldn’t say that since the Raptor cost $80K, it should also have Blue Cruise. The extra cost of the Raptor goes far beyond this optional tech feature.

The headlight downgrade on the 24 tremor is such a a bizarre move from Ford.
Has to be something to do with their new winch bumper not working well with the upper trim grill. I personally would not buy a 24 Tremor based off the new and lower trim front end.

Bought my ‘23 401A with the 5.0 back in September for $61k plus TTL. I have zero regrets - all the features I was looking for and none extra. The stock exhaust on the 5.0 gives it a great rumble. Bluebonnet Ford has 3 402A currently and they’re willing to negotiate.

Several folks have asked what it is and I tell them it’s the “Working Man’s Raptor”.
B314FB78-9E88-4E3C-9405-FF976A3DBB86.jpeg
38232F11-8A26-4988-9117-2756C21BAB40.jpeg

Nice - that confirms my suspicions that there's even more room to go here. The one I looked at the other day was:
  • MSRP - $61.1K + $7.5K 402A + $1K Bed Utility + $0.5K Torsen Diff + $0.5K Trailer Tow + $1.8K Dest Fee = $72.3K Total
  • X-Plan Price - $67.6K (so $4.7K under MSRP)
  • Another ~$1K of dealer junk that they said they would be willing to waive
(The X-Plan did take the Doc Fee down from $599 to $75 or something, which is nice).

Bottom line though it sounds like I could get even more... which does potentially increase the savings vs. a 2024 to be more like ~$7-8K... which becomes a

The headlight downgrade on the 24 tremor is such a a bizarre move from Ford.
I agree. That’s a big reason I just bought a 23

I'm not sure I would consider the headlights a downgrade. The way they moved around I personally didn't like and found them distracting!!!

New Topics

Back