crs2879

Reaction score
Military
Army
Current Ride
2015 Mustang GT
Current Ride #2
2023 F150 Tremor
Hate to pile on the trouble forum but highly disappointed to have significant issue, right off the bat. Only had the truck for 2 weeks but noticed, almost immediately that the truck made banging or cracking noises, behind the dash at every start-up. Knew the sounds were not normal so notified the dealer. Of course, their first appointment was weeks out. Everything seemed to work, otherwise, so I didn't make a big deal of it. Week or so ago, was about 1 mile from home and the A/C quit working entirely. This was late on a Saturday so not much I could do and on Sunday morning, the A/C was working again but I still contacted the dealer and got them to escalate an appointment date (today). Yesterday (Sunday) my son and I were on a 2.5 hour trip when the A/C quit about 1 hour in. It slowly dies to nothing and even with the fan manually on 7, you can hear the fan but no air comes out of the vents. Very frustrated we drove on to our destination, windows down in 90 degree heat. After being parked for about 1 hour, started the truck and A/C working again. However, 30 minutes into the return trip it died again. This time I put the fan on 7 and turned off the A/C button. About 1 minute later, cold air starts blasting out of the vents (A/C button OFF at this time) and air stayed cold for at least 5 minutes. Once it went warm again, I hit the A/C button back ON and we had A/C again for the balance of the trip. Guessing it is a bad actuator not opening or closing a blend door....who knows. Dealer is picking up the truck today but I already have bad feelings about them tearing out the dash to fix this issue on a truck with less than 1K miles. I am a die-hard Ford man but their quality seems to really be slipping.

3 weeks old and my AC stopped working 30 mins into my trip. I pulled over, turned off the truck and restarted about 10 mins later with no problems. I had the same issue the next day, again 30 mins into my trip. Ford Dealer couldn’t find any issues.

Dealer called today to say the tech had ordered parts and temporarily "fixed" the issue so I could pick up the truck. I said, "Temporarily fixed?. What toes that mean? How can I know the A/C won't quit again?" He said "I will call you back." 2 hours later he called and said "We're going to keep it here until the parts arrive.".....right now, I have little faith this will be the last time I have an issue with the A/C.

Day 10 without the Tremor. Dealer called to say parts had arrived and tech would start today but likely not complete until tomorrow as it is a "pretty big job". I saw a video of another '23 getting an A/C repair and the entire dash came out........I can hear the rattles now.......but hoping for the best.

A lot of the older BMW have issues with the $50 evap core that books for like 12hrs of labor because the whole dash has to come out. Great packaging so glad Ford is doing the same :rolleyes:

Hopefully they get ya sorted and no new rattles…at least it’s covered under warranty.

Got the Tremor back, yesterday and all seems in order. Reading over the Work Order, they found Trouble Code B1086:07 - "Mode Door Actuator Mechanical Concern". They replaced the Evaporator Plenum finding two(2) Mode Door Actuators were stripped, on a basically brand new truck. The WO also states the tech removed the dash, console and both front seats in order to repair. I am speculating this would be a several thousand dollar repair, outside of warranty. The initial trouble sign was fairly loud "cracking" noises, behind the dash, at every startup and then about 1 hour into a road trip, the A/C went out completely.

Got the Tremor back, yesterday and all seems in order. Reading over the Work Order, they found Trouble Code B1086:07 - "Mode Door Actuator Mechanical Concern". They replaced the Evaporator Plenum finding two(2) Mode Door Actuators were stripped, on a basically brand new truck. The WO also states the tech removed the dash, console and both front seats in order to repair. I am speculating this would be a several thousand dollar repair, outside of warranty. The initial trouble sign was fairly loud "cracking" noises, behind the dash, at every startup and then about 1 hour into a road trip, the A/C went out completely.
Ugh oh, I hear a crackling sound sometimes, almost sounds like glass cracking.

Yes, mine did two (2) distinct "cracks" at start-up, every time basically from the day I picked it up. I had notified the dealer, and they acknowledged from a phone video that the sound was not normal, but since the A/C was working, there was no real urgency on my part to take it in. Then my son and I went on a 2.5 hour road trip and the A/C quit, completely about 1 hour into the trip. Could not get air, of any kind out of the vents regardless of fan speed. After stopping for about 1 hour, the A/C worked but stopped again after about 30 minutes. Messing around with the various A/C buttons, I was able to get it working, in manual mode but it was very frustrating, particularly on a day that was approaching 100 degrees.

Well, the A/C saga continues. Had the truck back for about a week and took a road trip over the weekend. About 3 hours into the ride, the same issue happened, A/C on AUTO, feel the cab starting to get hot so call for more A/C, but nothing. The air slowly goes down to no air from the vents, even with the fan on 7. The only way to get it back is to turn the A/C off for 5 minutes and then it typically comes back on. Dealer says it is likely "freezing up"........but that really doesn't explain the lack of any air from the vents with the fan on "7".....but I don't claim to be an expert in automotive A/C systems.......back in a loaner truck today.

Well, the A/C saga continues. Had the truck back for about a week and took a road trip over the weekend. About 3 hours into the ride, the same issue happened, A/C on AUTO, feel the cab starting to get hot so call for more A/C, but nothing. The air slowly goes down to no air from the vents, even with the fan on 7. The only way to get it back is to turn the A/C off for 5 minutes and then it typically comes back on. Dealer says it is likely "freezing up"........but that really doesn't explain the lack of any air from the vents with the fan on "7".....but I don't claim to be an expert in automotive A/C systems.......back in a loaner truck today.
Do you have the same issue when you run it manually? I don't think I've ever used the AUTO setting in any vehicle I've owned that has it, so I'm ignorant on it.

Just wondering if the issue would travel with manual use. If so, it's a system issue, not a mode issue?

Do you have the same issue when you run it manually? I don't think I've ever used the AUTO setting in any vehicle I've owned that has it, so I'm ignorant on it.

Just wondering if the issue would travel with manual use. If so, it's a system issue, not a mode issue?
It has done it in both Auto and Manual modes. Typically it has been during a longer drive, but not every time. The service writer, this morning, said it sounded like it is "freezing up", which I get and makes sense since the way I get the A/C working is to shut it off for 5-10 minutes and it tends to work again. Freezing up is sometimes a sign of low refrigerant but they just re-filled the system, after they replaced 2 actuators a little over a week ago. One of my co-workers thinks it could be an airflow restriction issue, who knows? I own 5 vehicles now and probably owned at least 50 in my lifetime and never had a vehicle with an A/C issue that was this difficult to diagnose. I had a Toyota Sequoia for 17 years, that had Auto A/C, and I never touched the A/C system for any reason. Was still blowing cold air when I sold it to a relative a year ago.

3 weeks old and my AC stopped working 30 mins into my trip. I pulled over, turned off the truck and restarted about 10 mins later with no problems. I had the same issue the next day, again 30 mins into my trip. Ford Dealer couldn’t find any issues.
Probably the condenser freezing up. I've had this issue a couple times. Turn a/c off for 10 min and it thaws out, then a/c returns. The trick, from what I read on forums, is having it happen while at the dealer to actually get them to do something about it. Basically need it to freeze up, then pull into the dealer and get a service writer out to see its barely blowing any air.

Update on my A/C issues; Got the truck back, middle of last week and the diagnosis, this time, was the "evaporator valve". So far, so good and I do seem to be getting better air volume than before. However, the A/C issues I have had have been it freezing-up on longer trips.....we shall see.

Update on my A/C issues; Got the truck back, middle of last week and the diagnosis, this time, was the "evaporator valve". So far, so good and I do seem to be getting better air volume than before. However, the A/C issues I have had have been it freezing-up on longer trips.....we shall see.
The valve not functioning properly could lead to the freeze up, it could also cause low refrigerant if it allowed it to leak off some, hopefully this fixes your issues.

I didn't notice any cracking sounds but I did experience the exact same problem with the low air flow and zero cooling on a trip recently.
Got to my destination and turned it off. Was working again when we got back on the road. Hasn't happened again but I was planning on letting my dealership know about it next time I was there. I'm not very hopeful that was the last time I will experience it after reading your post. Less than 3000 miles on mine...

I also had this happen a few days ago, could hear the fan going but zero airflow out of the vents. Tried all the functions I could and nada. But like @EdDoMC got to my destination, shut the truck off and the next day everything is fine… very strange.

My truck is at the shop for the same issue. The evap core freezes when its humid out and they are most likely going to have to replace that and the ambient air sensor. Hopefully i hear something about it today. It has sat at the dealer all last week.

I have had both the evap core and the evap valve replaced. Dealer said they've "seen a few" F150 trucks with A/C issues. Having been back in the shop 2x, so far, I found that if you turn off the A/C system completely, and wait 5 minutes or so, it will typically unfreeze. On a recent, 250 mile trip, in 95+ degree weather, prior to the evap valve being replaced, I had to shut the system down and re-start 3x.....not pleasant, particularly in a brand new truck.

my dealer wanted to debate the issue and one service manager said he's never heard of our trucks having issues...and then the guy next to him said the exact opposite.

apparently there is an issue with them "freezing up" when people run the recirc for too long. i was told to get the cab to temperature and then turn off recirc and that should keep it from freezing.

regardless, there is something wonky with the a/c in these units and they know about it...it's just a matter of how many are they willing to accept before they turn it into a TSB or whatever they do.

bad news is that it's nearly fall so I won't run the a/c...which means I'll get to deal with it in a year.

Mine has "frozen" in Auto mode and Manual mode with Recirc Off and On. The service writer did ask me if it only froze in Recirc mode so that seems to be something they are keying on.

New Topics

Back