Must have wrenches/kit?

Calbot

Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 F-150 Tremor 402A Black
New to this (off-roading and F150) but would like to get a basic set “must have” tools. Do folks like wrenches, cordless impact, socket?

What are the most common sizes of wrenches that you’ll use in field repairs? I’m not looking to carry a massive box of incessant tools if I can help it.

I’m also looking for jacks but that is not specific to 150.

New to this (off-roading and F150) but would like to get a basic set “must have” tools. Do folks like wrenches, cordless impact, socket?

What are the most common sizes of wrenches that you’ll use in field repairs? I’m not looking to carry a massive box of incessant tools if I can help it.

I’m also looking for jacks but that is not specific to 150.

I went with the Harbor Freight Badland 3 ton Off-Road Jack as my previous floor jack did not have enough lift.

1715275531389.png

Get a set of gear wrenches containing both metric and SAE in most common sizes, basically 8mm-21mm and 1/4-3/4", socket set to match those sizes at least 3/8 drive, flat tip and Phillips head screw drivers, channel lock pliers medium, vise grips, needle nose pliers, hex set common sizes, a t-20 - 30 torx bit set, electrical tape, duct tape, And if you tow get a wrench for the ball and add a 1/2 drive socket wrench and 1" - 1 1/2" sockets.
That seems like a lot but those are just basics, I'd add an extra socket for your lug nuts and a breaker bar, an electric tester or at least test light, an extra pack of fuses. And as bad as I hate to say this a patch kit for your tire or can of fix-a-flat(that's the bad thing) but worst case scenario it helps you get back. Also a decent air pump, Smitty built makes one in the $70-90 range that works really well for what it is. All this is just my opinion. But I would also find a good bottle jack that can lift to 22" or carry a small piece of 6x6, I carry a foot long 2x10 to use as the base, and at least one jack stand. They sell a combo so that might meet your needs better. Oh and if you carry a firearm at least 20 extra rounds of ammo. It all depends on what your doing really, I carry a shovel as well.

Get a set of gear wrenches containing both metric and SAE in most common sizes, basically 8mm-21mm and 1/4-3/4", socket set to match those sizes at least 3/8 drive, flat tip and Phillips head screw drivers, channel lock pliers medium, vise grips, needle nose pliers, hex set common sizes, a t-20 - 30 torx bit set, electrical tape, duct tape, And if you tow get a wrench for the ball and add a 1/2 drive socket wrench and 1" - 1 1/2" sockets.
That seems like a lot but those are just basics, I'd add an extra socket for your lug nuts and a breaker bar, an electric tester or at least test light, an extra pack of fuses. And as bad as I hate to say this a patch kit for your tire or can of fix-a-flat(that's the bad thing) but worst case scenario it helps you get back. Also a decent air pump, Smitty built makes one in the $70-90 range that works really well for what it is. All this is just my opinion. But I would also find a good bottle jack that can lift to 22" or carry a small piece of 6x6, I carry a foot long 2x10 to use as the base, and at least one jack stand. They sell a combo so that might meet your needs better. Oh and if you carry a firearm at least 20 extra rounds of ammo. It all depends on what your doing really, I carry a shovel as well.
Hey man, you just made this a one stop shop and my Santa’s list… thank you!!!

Narrowing down the “required” stuff
Ensures I don’t carry around unnecessary things and makes it easier to track if a critical item is missing. Plus, with a 5.5 bed space is at a premium!

I didn’t get the underseat storage in my truck, but was thinking about something like that or an aftermarket for my “dry” items and 2A gear.

Thanks once again.

I went with the Harbor Freight Badland 3 ton Off-Road Jack as my previous floor jack did not have enough lift.

View attachment 29174
Thanks. I’m assuming you carry a board or plank to make a flat space when over uneven or rocky? ground?

does the bottom of the jack sink and do that for you in soft ground?

Duha under seat storage is highly recommended, if you decide to do an under seat storage. As are built right panels in the bed, which allows you to mount stuff to the side of the bed. Those aren't necessarily needed but highly recommended to help organize and store your stuff. I also recommend either a tow strap or a snatch strap or rope and soft shackle, for those just in case moments when you smack your forehead with your palm and ask yourself why did I do that. If by yourself and no winch during that moment a come-a-long we'll be your best friend. See it all depends on what you plan on doing the stuff I posted in the first post above is just basics I would carry in any vehicle, if going offroad then that lists gets much bigger. And it also becomes more dependant upon where you will offroad, in the desert you made need an anchor to attach to, so that you can self recover just some more things to think about.

Thanks. I’m assuming you carry a board or plank to make a flat space when over uneven or rocky? ground?

does the bottom of the jack sink and do that for you in soft ground?
Take a look at minute 19:30 and beyond on real world use on gravel , dirt and mud

I have even seen videos of people who rock crawl put this thing in odd positions to make a transition or hop between boulders to get through tough obstacles.

Take a look at minute 19:30 and beyond on real world use on gravel , dirt and mud

I have even seen videos of people who rock crawl put this thing in odd positions to make a transition or hop between boulders to get through tough obstacles.
That’s great information. Thanks!

Duha under seat storage is highly recommended, if you decide to do an under seat storage. As are built right panels in the bed, which allows you to mount stuff to the side of the bed. Those aren't necessarily needed but highly recommended to help organize and store your stuff. I also recommend either a tow strap or a snatch strap or rope and soft shackle, for those just in case moments when you smack your forehead with your palm and ask yourself why did I do that. If by yourself and no winch during that moment a come-a-long we'll be your best friend. See it all depends on what you plan on doing the stuff I posted in the first post above is just basics I would carry in any vehicle, if going offroad then that lists gets much bigger. And it also becomes more dependant upon where you will offroad, in the desert you made need an anchor to attach to, so that you can self recover just some more things to think about.
The comealong winch is VERY interesting… i
Have to admit I’ve never seen those. I do go solo in some very mild trails and am also freaked out about not having a winch.

Do you recommend a manual one or some type of portable electric one?

Manual is cheaper, a couple of snat
The comealong winch is VERY interesting… i
Have to admit I’ve never seen those. I do go solo in some very mild trails and am also freaked out about not having a winch.

Do you recommend a manual one or some type of portable electric one?
If trying to save money get a manual one and a couple of snatch blocks to run your recovery rope thru and you will be fine, if money is not really a concern then you can get a winch in a box and a couple of snatch blocks and do the same type of thing. Keep in mind this isn't for serious offroad recovery but if you get stuck in some light mud or drop a tire off it will do the job. Just don't expect it to last long trying to get you up a rock ledge or sunk to your doors in mud.

Manual is cheaper, a couple of snat

If trying to save money get a manual one and a couple of snatch blocks to run your recovery rope thru and you will be fine, if money is not really a concern then you can get a winch in a box and a couple of snatch blocks and do the same type of thing. Keep in mind this isn't for serious offroad recovery but if you get stuck in some light mud or drop a tire off it will do the job. Just don't expect it to last long trying to get you up a rock ledge or sunk to your doors in mud.
Excellent. Thank you sir!

I’d definitely rather have something that can get
Me in a less precarious position than nothing at all.

Also another tool would be a decent hammer that can be swapped head pieces for different uses, rubber, brass faces, or at the very least a rubber mallet.

Don't believe I read it mentioned above but another good general thing to have is a decent quality set of jumper cables and/or a nice little noco booster packs I only carry cables but might get a booster pack one day. Headlamps another easy thing to carry I don't think I seen mentioned. Also small axe and a hand saw never hurts to have.

Don't believe I read it mentioned above but another good general thing to have is a decent quality set of jumper cables and/or a nice little noco booster packs I only carry cables but might get a booster pack one day. Headlamps another easy thing to carry I don't think I seen mentioned. Also small axe and a hand saw never hurts to have.
Yes a jumper pack is great to have, I have been carrying a gooloo 4000 for about 1.5 years now and just throw it on the charge about every 4 months to keep it ready, never had to use it on mine but this past winter it got quiet the workout, started about 30 other vehicles with it. It's good for about 5-6 jumps per charge. Oh and it was on sale on Amazon for $69.

That's good to hear I've only used noco ones, we got a big one at work and it starts dead diesels all the time.

This is the jumper pack I have, very mobile and simple to use. Charges fast and gets 3 or 4 jumps out of a full charge.

HULKMAN Alpha85 Smart JumpStarter 2000 Amp 20000mAh Car Starter for up to 8.5L Gas and 6L Diesel Engines with Boost Function for Totally Dead Battery 12V Lithium Portable Car Battery Booster Pack https://a.co/d/8Wd4O1C

Take some form of first aid/booboo kit and some meds. Busted rig if the least of your worries if you're bleeding out (or sneezing constantly because of arboreal bukkake). A handful of flares/chemlights/headlamp/handlights are handy too.

For hand tools I follow some shit I'm sure we've all heard but not sure where - buy cheap tools and, if you use it enough to break it, buy the name brand/good tool. Grab a small mechanics set from Harbor Freight and keep tabs on whats handy/not and pair down as needed. Long term play but IMO things like sockets/wrenches/etc aren't going to be a magic checklist.

Some generalizations/what I tend to "EDC" in the truck aside from tools:
jump pack (love my noco)
work gloves
nitrile gloves
ratchet straps
extra lug nuts/valve stem cores and covers
gorilla tape
paracord
chemlights
headlamp, handlight
a booboo kit with a couple tourniquets
small med box with shit like tylenol/advil/ibuprofen/allergy
fire extinguisher
packable/quickdry/lightweight towels
change of clothes
spare trailer lock
poncho/umbrellas/bugspray (hooray FL)

I hear good things about the badlands jack and the safejacks bottle jack kits. Kinetic ropes/soft shackles seems to be all over the place on price and folks' feelings on the brands. Traction boards seem to be similar on the price/preference scale but are useful. Whatever hogwarts house of powertools you were sorted into surely has a 1/2" impact driver - buy that and a set of decent impact sockets for your lug size(s). Don't necessarily have to carry it all the time but it's something you could easily throw in the truck if you think you'll be out somewhere you might need to swap. Not that the Ford one couldn't be used in a pinch but a couple ugga duggas is way easier.

Last edited:

New Topics

Back