Must have wrenches/kit?

Take some form of first aid/booboo kit and some meds. Busted rig if the least of your worries if you're bleeding out (or sneezing constantly because of arboreal bukkake). A handful of flares/chemlights/headlamp/handlights are handy too.

For hand tools I follow some shit I'm sure we've all heard but not sure where - buy cheap tools and, if you use it enough to break it, buy the name brand/good tool. Grab a small mechanics set from Harbor Freight and keep tabs on whats handy/not and pair down as needed. Long term play but IMO things like sockets/wrenches/etc aren't going to be a magic checklist.

Some generalizations/what I tend to "EDC" in the truck aside from tools:
jump pack (love my noco)
work gloves
nitrile gloves
ratchet straps
extra lug nuts/valve stem cores and covers
gorilla tape
paracord
chemlights
headlamp, handlight
a booboo kit with a couple tourniquets
small med box with shit like tylenol/advil/ibuprofen/allergy
fire extinguisher
packable/quickdry/lightweight towels
change of clothes
spare trailer lock
poncho/umbrellas/bugspray (hooray FL)

I hear good things about the badlands jack and the safejacks bottle jack kits. Kinetic ropes/soft shackles seems to be all over the place on price and folks' feelings on the brands. Traction boards seem to be similar on the price/preference scale but are useful. Whatever hogwarts house of powertools you were sorted into surely has a 1/2" impact driver - buy that and a set of decent impact sockets for your lug size(s). Don't necessarily have to carry it all the time but it's something you could easily throw in the truck if you think you'll be out somewhere you might need to swap. Not that the Ford one couldn't be used in a pinch but a couple ugga duggas is way easier.
There's an awesome guy who has a YouTube show called project farms who gives totally unbiased reviews on many of the things we've talked about in here, wrenches, jump packs, jacks, even the different motor oils and fuel additives, also winches and snatch ropes or kinetic ropes. So if you want to look at some stuff before buying a particular item start there and see if he has done the testing, you'll be amazed.

There's an awesome guy who has a YouTube show called project farms who gives totally unbiased reviews on many of the things we've talked about in here, wrenches, jump packs, jacks, even the different motor oils and fuel additives, also winches and snatch ropes or kinetic ropes. So if you want to look at some stuff before buying a particular item start there and see if he has done the testing, you'll be amazed.
Dudes awesome and thorough. Did one on creepers and he’s pulling em over cables and shit checking pull force and such :LOL:

Also another tool would be a decent hammer that can be swapped head pieces for different uses, rubber, brass faces, or at the very least a rubber mallet.
Dudes awesome and thorough. Did one on creepers and he’s pulling em over cables and shit checking pull force and such :LOL:
That man is a national treasure!!!

Thanks for this list… excellent amendment.

Guy asks about what wrenches and sockets to bring and this forum has him making an entire kit.

Guy asks about what wrenches and sockets to bring and this forum has him making an entire kit.
giphy.gif

Second @FaKtor34 and @Rabidtastic lists above. FWIW, I carry a 1ft section of double 2x10 (two pieces screwed together, for a 3" base) and this bottle jack, https://a.co/d/8eI08z2, with another small piece of 2x4 to go on top if ever need, re soft ground etc.
Thanks. Any ever issue with keeping bottle jacks in truck with cold and heat? Thinking seals and oil.

I have one of those Craftsman's plastic three drawer tool sets also other tools in canvas bags. I use tool rolls on my side by side that's another option and you can fill it with just what you want.

Get a set of gear wrenches containing both metric and SAE in most common sizes, basically 8mm-21mm and 1/4-3/4", socket set to match those sizes at least 3/8 drive, flat tip and Phillips head screw drivers, channel lock pliers medium, vise grips, needle nose pliers, hex set common sizes, a t-20 - 30 torx bit set, electrical tape, duct tape, And if you tow get a wrench for the ball and add a 1/2 drive socket wrench and 1" - 1 1/2" sockets.
That seems like a lot but those are just basics, I'd add an extra socket for your lug nuts and a breaker bar, an electric tester or at least test light, an extra pack of fuses. And as bad as I hate to say this a patch kit for your tire or can of fix-a-flat(that's the bad thing) but worst case scenario it helps you get back. Also a decent air pump, Smitty built makes one in the $70-90 range that works really well for what it is. All this is just my opinion. But I would also find a good bottle jack that can lift to 22" or carry a small piece of 6x6, I carry a foot long 2x10 to use as the base, and at least one jack stand. They sell a combo so that might meet your needs better. Oh and if you carry a firearm at least 20 extra rounds of ammo. It all depends on what your doing really, I carry a shovel as well.
Great list and advice. But instead of a 2x10 stand I carry traction boards that work as a jack stand.

Thanks. Any ever issue with keeping bottle jacks in truck with cold and heat? Thinking seals and oil.
Never had an issue with the bottle jack, mine is in a plastic carry container though but it's never leaked. They also sell kits to extend these jacks, if you do a forum search for offroad jacks you should find a link to a site I listed with full jacks and kits to extend them.

Great list and advice. But instead of a 2x10 stand I carry traction boards that work as a jack stand.
Cover the 2x10 with a bed liner or rough deck cover and add a traction strip to it, lasts longer and saves money, just not as nice looking or as light. 😉

Yes a jumper pack is great to have, I have been carrying a gooloo 4000 for about 1.5 years now and just throw it on the charge about every 4 months to keep it ready, never had to use it on mine but this past winter it got quiet the workout, started about 30 other vehicles with it. It's good for about 5-6 jumps per charge. Oh and it was on sale on Amazon for $69.
I bought two of them after my micro starts crapped out after about 9 years.

@Calbot

Forewarning, lock your bank account before opening this thread:

@Calbot

Forewarning, lock your bank account before opening this thread:

The web should have a warning for that before opening this forum.

New Topics

Back