My 2023 Tremor got stolen - 1 month new!

Sindbad

Reaction score
Current Ride
2013 Tremor
Hello All, please ensure your Tremor is protected and safe over night. Mine (2023 Tremor 402A which I took delivery of in Dec 2023) was stolen Jan 19th from my drive way. I keep key fobs in Faraday box, truck is locked with no valuables, fully lit area. Theives cut horn wire, used a rod to break in via driver door, seems used OBD port to program new fob and took off in less than 7 minutes.
I live in Greater Toronto area, police said mine was the 4th F150 stolen that night.
All was captured on camera!

Oh man that sucks. I ordered a set of Piaa horns that I'm going to wire into the factory horn circuit using an "add a circuit" at the fuse box, so if they cut the factory horn wire, it won't matter. It'll wake up the neighborhood.

Last edited:
That sucks. And there is no way to disable registering virgin keys to our trucks to help mitigate this?

Weird.

They must have used some type of new scanner to start it or they’ve been watching you for awhile and maybe grabbed your key fob code when you locked or unlocked it when you were out and about or when you got home.

Who knows.
I hope you have good insurance.

That sucks. And there is no way to disable registering virgin keys to our trucks to help mitigate this?
Has something changed because I thought that one needs to have two working fobs to program another one.

With that being said, I’m sure there’s a way around this via Fords specific software.

Has something changed because I thought that one needs to have two working fobs to program another one.

With that being said, I’m sure there’s a way around this via Fords specific software.
Ford has the key codes, if someone was able to get the software they don't need a second fob to program a new key. Also if they can hack they don't even need a key using the obd, this is somewhat of a problem with most modern vehicles, there are two ways to deal with this and prevent it to an extent, find the fuel line and install a fuel shutoff switch, most criminals don't take the time to look for something like this, you can also install a battery shutoff like on most boats and just remember to shut them off when your not going to be using the vehicle for a few hours, oh and of course remember to turn them back on when using them.

sorry to hear. A$$hats are everywhere. Sounds like you did all the smart things to mitigate. So frustrating!

Last edited:
Oh man that sucks. I ordered a set of Piaa horns that I'm going to wire into the factory horn circuit using an "add a circuit" at the fuse box, so if they cut the factory horn wire, it won't matter. It'll wake up the neighborhood.
That's a great advice... I am looking for a replacement truck and will follow your suggestion, much appreciated.

Is there a way to install a cut-off switch that disables the starter but keeps the other battery systems operational (so you don't lose memory, etc.)?

I was considering the Ravelco security system. They say it wont effect the electronics of the truck. Has anyone tried them?

Is there a way to install a cut-off switch that disables the starter but keeps the other battery systems operational (so you don't lose memory, etc.)?
My guess would be to install it on the hot wire running to the starter, the problem with that would be finding a location that you could install it. I guess you could always just pull the stater fuse. Of course going any of these routes pretty much means you can't remote start.

It seems to me that Ford and probably other manufacturers are not doing enough to prevent theft. I mean, nothing is perfect, but they've known how easy it is to steal these trucks for several years.

"But the most common Ford F-150 theft goes this way, according to Bates. "They have a device or a tool that goes in through the OBD2 port, the onboard diagnostic port. And essentially it boosts the truck into thinking a new key is programmed for the vehicle. They can do that in matter of minutes."

Ok, so Ford, how about some sort of OBDII port security feature (NAC), so a code or credentials of some sort has to be entered each time a new OBDII device is plugged in, something???

Last edited:
It seems to me that Ford and probably other manufacturers are not doing enough to prevent theft. I mean, nothing is perfect, but they've known how easy it is to steal these trucks for several years.

"But the most common Ford F-150 theft goes this way, according to Bates. "They have a device or a tool that goes in through the OBD2 port, the onboard diagnostic port. And essentially it boosts the truck into thinking a new key is programmed for the vehicle. They can do that in matter of minutes."

Ok, so Ford, how about some sort of OBDII port security feature (NAC), so a code or credentials of some sort has to be entered each time a new OBDII device is plugged in, something???
Careful what you wish for, if they do something of that nature then Forscan wouldn't be able to be used. An easier solution would be to make it so they can't make a key using that method, require it to be a dealer specific way to make a new key and only they have that ability. But to put a code or something on the obdII would just limit even further who can work on or make changes such as get rid of double honk, or add Bambi mode, not to mention make corrections to your tire size. I guess if they allowed you to set a pin for access it might be feasible still though it would make much more sense to have to go thru the dealership to get a key made than be able to do it thru the OBDII port.

The revelco gets great reviews. But it's $800+. It's basically a fancy kill switch with a bunch of wires in it so someone would have to spend a lot of time to figure out the right connections to bypass it. I'd love to just put a kill switch on the fuel pump, but nobody has been able to locate and publish a good spot in the harness to do so. Plus it might throw a CEL, who knows?

Careful what you wish for, if they do something of that nature then Forscan wouldn't be able to be used. An easier solution would be to make it so they can't make a key using that method, require it to be a dealer specific way to make a new key and only they have that ability. But to put a code or something on the obdII would just limit even further who can work on or make changes such as get rid of double honk, or add Bambi mode, not to mention make corrections to your tire size. I guess if they allowed you to set a pin for access it might be feasible still though it would make much more sense to have to go thru the dealership to get a key made than be able to do it thru the OBDII port.
it's a good point, but I would imagine that the owner would have / make this code, like you do for your door. Dealers and Manufacturer might have a "Master" code so they can do their thing etc, but since these cars are essentially their own little network with server etc. Network Access Control might work and still give owner ability to do Forscan etc.

In any case, I think they have a ton of smart engineers at Ford and they should spend some time on this issue.

My guess would be to install it on the hot wire running to the starter, the problem with that would be finding a location that you could install it. I guess you could always just pull the stater fuse. Of course going any of these routes pretty much means you can't remote start.
Get the OEM auto start/stop button and hook it up to that. No one would know any difference.

New Topics

Back