PPF - Ceramic Coat - Tint

ramu3527

Reaction score
I've read around about these things. Wondering what your thoughts are. I know very little about these things.

I was considering getting some of the front end filmed. The bumper, the section just above the bumper, the headlights and the front part of the hood. then I read that after time, you'll start to see a difference in the finish on the hood between where it was done and not done. Plus, there will be the line from the film. So, then I thought about getting the whole hood done. I've also read our hoods aren't easy to do, due to all the contours in the hood. I don't know much about this subject and don't want to spend a bunch of money just for it to look like shit down the road.

I'm also considering doing a one time treatment of ceramic coating. Something that will last several years. Maybe touch it up every couple years after that.

I also want to get some tinting done. I want to get the driver and passenger doors tinted to match the rear windows. I'd also like to get the moonroof tinted a little darker so I'll get more use out of it. When the sun is blaring from above, I usually close the shade. This way I can enjoy it more. That said, I thought I read somewhere there is an issue with tinting the moonroof. Has anyone heard of that? I was also wondering if there is a 'clear tint (like an 80 or 90%) I could get done on the windshield for UV filtering.

One other thing. A guy I work with swears by some Ziebart package he uses. Anyone ever use any Ziebart products?

Never heard of Ziebart, but I tinted mine with 20% fronts, 70% sunroof, rears, and windshield with XPEL XR Plus ceramic tint for heat control. The front/back is pretty close, and 70% on the windshield/sunroof isn't super noticeable but still blocks those UV rays. 70% doesn't interfere with night visibility much at all.

I asked the tint guy about sunroof explosions from tint, and he said that's a thing of the past.

I also want to get some tinting done. I want to get the driver and passenger doors tinted to match the rear windows. I'd also like to get the moonroof tinted a little darker so I'll get more use out of it. When the sun is blaring from above, I usually close the shade. This way I can enjoy it more. That said, I thought I read somewhere there is an issue with tinting the moonroof. Has anyone heard of that? I was also wondering if there is a 'clear tint (like an 80 or 90%) I could get done on the windshield for UV filtering.

One other thing. A guy I work with swears by some Ziebart package he uses. Anyone ever use any Ziebart products?
Llumar Air 80 is a virtually clear windshield tint. I used it over my rear windows for the heat rejection, and Llumar IRX 25 on the front doors. The doors are still a bit lighter than a rear, so go a step darker for match. I was hoping for a match, but 50% is legal here, so I'm OK with the lighter appearance.

I've read about the sunroof tinting issue, but will still likely do mine this summer. It should be more of an issue in hotter climates than up here in the mid-west. I read it has something to do with ceramic tint absorbing heat (vs. passing through to interior), but it seems to be pretty rare, just that it gets a lot of attention when it does happen.

20230722_141958.jpg
20230810_170625.jpg

I stopped by a place yesterday to discuss these products.

PPF - full hood, headlamps, front bumper (including piece between bumper and grill), and mirrors.
$2,200
Ceramic Coating -
3yr $1,495
4yr $1,695
5yr $1,895
7yr $2,295
Tinting - driver/passenger - 15% (they say a great match to the rears) and windshield - 80%
D/P $175
W $300

Thoughts?

As I said previously, take the ceramic coating warranty with a grain of salt because who knows if the shop will be around 7 years or even 7 days after it’s done.

Does the price include a full paint correction and vehicle detail?

Also, you didn’t mention what kind or brand of tint or PPF that’ll be used on the vehicle and windows or the warranty.

Tint- yes, makes a huge difference.

PPF and Ceramic? It's a truck, not a sports car. I'll save the $4000 and get a $10 bottle of touch up paint for the occasional rock chip.

My father put 3M PPF on his Infinity G35 when it was new to try to keep it in good shape. It cracked, peeled, turned yellow and ruined the paint when it got stripped off. Had to repaint the car, which he still has. But without PPF this time. Maybe it's gotten better in 20 years, but I won't use it.

Also those 2 options just scream, "high profit margin" for a shop. It's so expensive for such little visible benefit.

Ziebart has been around for 40 plus years. I use to work for them when I was in my late teenage years. Tint makes a big difference in keeping the vehicle cool here in Florida. I have PPF on my Harley and Corvette. I purchased my Tremor used so no PPF installed. I've thought about doing it but it already has road scars and the PPF will just end up looking like crap. Paint correction and ceramic coatings I;ve read positives and negatives about. I good ceramic coat isn't cheap. Just my 2 cents on it.

As I said previously, take the ceramic coating warranty with a grain of salt because who knows if the shop will be around 7 years or even 7 days after it’s done.

Also, you didn’t mention what kind or brand of tint or PPF that’ll be used on the vehicle and windows or the warranty.
Yes, it does include the paint correction and clay bar treatment.

Tint- yes, makes a huge difference.

PPF and Ceramic? It's a truck, not a sports car. I'll save the $4000 and get a $10 bottle of touch up paint for the occasional rock chip.

My father put 3M PPF on his Infinity G35 when it was new to try to keep it in good shape. It cracked, peeled, turned yellow and ruined the paint when it got stripped off. Had to repaint the car, which he still has. But without PPF this time. Maybe it's gotten better in 20 years, but I won't use it.

Also those 2 options just scream, "high profit margin" for a shop. It's so expensive for such little visible benefit.
Honestly, this is the direction I'm leaning. You're right, its a truck - a tool, not a high end toy. I was considering doing the tint, skipping the film and maybe going with the 3 year ceramic coat and see how it lasts, or I guess I can just throw a coat of wax on it every couple years.

The tint is the LLumar, the PPF is Xpel and the ceramic is the Opti-coat.

As for wax... the latest generation of clear spray on waxes are amazing. I like Maquries or Mothers. It is so quick and easy to apply that I do it about 4 times a year, or whenever the water stops beading on the hood. So much easier than the old paste wax and a buffer.

I stopped by a place yesterday to discuss these products.

PPF - full hood, headlamps, front bumper (including piece between bumper and grill), and mirrors.
$2,200
Ceramic Coating -
3yr $1,495
4yr $1,695
5yr $1,895
7yr $2,295
Tinting - driver/passenger - 15% (they say a great match to the rears) and windshield - 80%
D/P $175
W $300

Thoughts?
I did the full front including Fenders, 10 year Ceramic Coat. Paid just over 3K I drive lost of Mining dirt Roads it will be a good test to see how it holds up.

if you don't put PPF on the front painted surfaces they will be pitted and chipped in no time if you drive on any highways etc. The key is to have it replaced if it starts to show signs of deteriorating or discoloration. I coated my truck when it was new with adams polishes ceramics myself. No need for paint correction on oxford white IMO. easy to do and so easy to keep clean.

The key is to have it replaced if it starts to show signs of deteriorating or discoloration.
That is a great point. My father left that film on his car, out in the weather, for about 10 years before it did all that damage to the paint.

As for wax... the latest generation of clear spray on waxes are amazing. I like Maquries or Mothers. It is so quick and easy to apply that I do it about 4 times a year, or whenever the water stops beading on the hood. So much easier than the old paste wax and a buffer.
What do you do, spray it on a buff it off?

What do you do, spray it on a buff it off?
Exactly. It goes on a clear spray. Microfiber towel. Instructions say to use 2 towels but I find one works fine until it get too wet.

I’m in Florida, I tinted the windows and get the truck detailed every 6 months. I was told the 2023 windshield is already tinted. Ceramic is nice but who knows how long it will last and I don’t think it gives that deep shine look.

OK, I'm leaning toward saving a pile of money and just getting the side windows tinted to match the rears and just getting the Meguiar’s Ultimate Quik Wax and using that after a good wash multiple times a year. It should do the trick.

As stated previously, this isn't a show car. I bought this nice of a truck because I can, and we only live once. That said, I use the truck for all my DIY projects around the house (and there are many) and whatever else I need it for.

I'd rather put my money into a level and other gadgets for the truck...lol

The above methods should suit me just fine!

Thanks all for your input!

Last edited:
Had my truck ceramic coated in the fall. I purchased the 7 year option which included clay bar cleaning, paint correction and two coats of ceramic on the windows, mirrors, trim and wheels. Cost was $2200. Over the course of the winter I washed it a few times to get the road salt and other contaminants off. I have never seen a surface clean up and bead water the way ceramic does. I use Chemical Guys ceramic cleaning products. The shine is awesome for a factory paint job.
image_0.jpeg
image_0.jpeg

Had my truck ceramic coated in the fall. I purchased the 7 year option which included clay bar cleaning, paint correction and two coats of ceramic on the windows, mirrors, trim and wheels. Cost was $2200. Over the course of the winter I washed it a few times to get the road salt and other contaminants off. I have never seen a surface clean up and bead water the way ceramic does. I use Chemical Guys ceramic cleaning products. The shine is awesome for a factory paint job.View attachment 27987View attachment 27987
That's a beautiful truck and color...

New Topics

Back