Roof Top Tent (RTT) Discussion

Escape Hatch

Reaction score
Current Ride
22 Tremor Stone Gray
Current Ride #2
22 Aviator Reserve
I will have my overloading rack on the truck next weekend and have been researching RTT. I am leaning more towards a hard shell for ease of use, insulation, and durability as I will leave the tent on my rack. Also to note, I do not park my truck in the garage so consistent UV exposure is a consideration. With that said, what RTT are you running and why? Please provide pro's, con's, and pics if you have any. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have an Overland Pros Anza 1400, I haven’t used it in my Tremor yet but I’m all set up to do so in two weeks, weather permitting. I’m running a Diamondback cover with their Frontrunner load bars. I’ve had it for a couple of years and previously ran it on my FJ Cruiser.

I got it because it is a little different design than the ‘typical’ soft cover RTTs in that it emphasizes big mesh openings on either end with no side windows. As such it’s a little quicker than those with side windows to put up/take down.

The hard tops look neat but not neat enough to justify me upgrading, I’ll likely upgrade to a small trailer next.

Pros:
-Soft tops are still generally lower cost than hard.
-I like all the mesh when it’s warmer out.
-The mattress is excellent.
-The rain fly isn’t required to keep out water in case of unexpected rain.

Cons:
-I can see a slight advantage to a traditional style RTT if it’s a bit rainy or you just want to have a side window open with its own awning. On the Anza you just have to open a main zip.
-Soft tent packing takes a little practice to be fast/efficient at vs hard.

Otherwise it is a solid soft cover tent. It has served me well and I look forward to using it for years to come. I’ll update this post with pics on the Tremor once I have some.

Attachments

• 227B3C55-96FE-4CE2-B002-AF569059A97A.jpeg
    227B3C55-96FE-4CE2-B002-AF569059A97A.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 58
I have an Overland Pros Anza 1400, I haven’t used it in my Tremor yet but I’m all set up to do so in two weeks, weather permitting. I’m running a Diamondback cover with their Frontrunner load bars. I’ve had it for a couple of years and previously ran it on my FJ Cruiser.

I got it because it is a little different design than the ‘typical’ soft cover RTTs in that it emphasizes big mesh openings on either end with no side windows. As such it’s a little quicker than those with side windows to put up/take down.

The hard tops look neat but not neat enough to justify me upgrading, I’ll likely upgrade to a small trailer next.

Pros:
-Soft tops are still generally lower cost than hard.
-I like all the mesh when it’s warmer out.
-The mattress is excellent.
-The rain fly isn’t required to keep out water in case of unexpected rain.

Cons:
-I can see a slight advantage to a traditional style RTT if it’s a bit rainy or you just want to have a side window open with its own awning. On the Anza you just have to open a main zip.
-Soft tent packing takes a little practice to be fast/efficient at vs hard.

Otherwise it is a solid soft cover tent. It has served me well and I look forward to using it for years to come. I’ll update this post with pics on the Tremor once I have some.
How is insulation with either retaining heat or not getting too hot in the summer? Thanks for the in-depth reply, exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

How is insulation with either retaining heat or not getting too hot in the summer? Thanks for the in-depth reply, exactly the kind of information I am looking for.
I would highly recommend a small fan no matter the season actually. The mesh is thick so unless there is a decent breeze there really isn’t a ton of airflow. I have a fan that clips onto one of the poles that I use to draw in or exhaust air when it’s too warm and to circulate air when it is cooler or cold. The circulation helps prevent condensation on the metal poles when it’s really cold out which can drip. Talking like 40 and below though.

Otherwise there isn’t any insulation on the sides or top, just the bottom is insulated.

I’ve had it out below freezing and when it is a bit warmer than I’d generally prefer, the fan is pretty much a must have. Mine is USB rechargeable and I have a handful of USB power banks to run the camp lights and charge phones and whatnot. The fan itself can run for a couple days at low speed without recharging but it‘s nice to have the ability to power it off a USB bank if I forgot to charge it before going out.

Edit: The other thread about heating a RTT got me looking at diesel heaters as I hadn’t looked into those before for when it’s really cold. Just trying to figure out how loud they actually are in person and if it’d be too annoying sitting right outside the tent.

We have a Go Fast Campers (GFC) Platform RTT on my wife's Gladiator. It is amazing, and pricey, but we searched for the best MADE IN USA RTT units we could find, and this is what we came up with.

Hard shell, can mount our solar panels on top (up to 75 pounds and the hydraulics lift it), stuff our bedding in it when closing up camp, has an immense amount of room compared to other RTTs.

Highly recommended!

I have ordered the Alto Hard Shell Mini from Colorado 4x4. This is a new tent offering with memory foam 3 inch mattress, diesel heater port flap, LED lighting and more for a great presale price. The pictures show a plastic shell however the new tents will be aluminum like their other offerings. The first container will arrive in April with shipping to commence then. Looking forward to receiving it and running through it's paces.

New Topics

Back