edubya32

Reaction score
Military
Navy Vet
Current Ride
2023 Tremor 3.5EB | 402A | Torsen
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 X40i
Towing noob here - I'm renting a small travel trailer soon, and so I've set it up in my truck based on specs (Amerilite 199DD). It's all fairly straight forward but I'm not sure on what Trailer Brake Type I should input into the system:

Default is: Electric/Surge/None (sort of a weird default if you ask me)
The other option is: Electric over Hydraulic

I'm assuming the default is the right choice, but the TT definitely should not have surge brakes, and it does have brakes, so not "None", seems weird to throw "electric" into that same default, but the TT has Electric Drum brakes as far as I know. I'm guessing EOH brakes are so niche and specific that a manufacturer would specify it had EOH brakes???

TIA!

Towing noob here - I'm renting a small travel trailer soon, and so I've set it up in my truck based on specs (Amerilite 199DD). It's all fairly straight forward but I'm not sure on what Trailer Brake Type I should input into the system:

Default is: Electric/Surge/None (sort of a weird default if you ask me)
The other option is: Electric over Hydraulic

I'm assuming the default is the right choice, but the TT definitely should not have surge brakes, and it does have brakes, so not "None", seems weird to throw "electric" into that same default, but the TT has Electric Drum brakes as far as I know. I'm guessing EOH brakes are so niche and specific that a manufacturer would specify it had EOH brakes???

TIA!
Default, it's almost certainly a basic electric drum setup.

You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it has a fluid reservoir when you pick it up, and also the surge brake coupler if that's the case.

Default, it's almost certainly a basic electric drum setup.

You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it has a fluid reservoir when you pick it up, and also the surge brake coupler if that's the case.
again, I'm a total noob here, but my understanding of surge brakes, from an Integrated trailer brake system perspective, would be the same as no brakes, because surge use the mechanical system in the trailer (as you've noted, the reservoir with brake fluid or whatever fluid) to activate the brakes on compression from the truck stopping. In that case, the brake controller in the cab is doing nothing, right? or maybe I'm way off. but anyway, if what I'm saying is accurate (which it probably isn't) to throw Electric in with surge and "none", is a bit strange if you ask me.

Or, perhaps Ford engineering is like, well, we have this basic IBC setting that will send the same "signal / current / voltage" whatever, regardless if it has surge (even though the signal is pointless) and even if it has no brakes (again, the signal would be pointless to send), it will send this signal but just does nothing, but if it has Electric Drum then it works as designed.

If this is the case, it would be clearer to a dumb ass like me to put the options as:
1. Surge / none
2. Electric Drum
3. Electric over Hydraulic

Rant over I suppose.

Last edited:
Most all travel trailers have Electric Drum brakes.
Yes, did some more research on EOH brakes - these seem very niche and complicated and peeps would know right away if they had this type of system.

I just have to say again, throwing in "Electric" (i.e. Electric Drum Brakes) with Surge Brakes or No Brakes in the same option, seems weird to me.

Thanks all for your help though, I am smarter about towing, but not by much.

New Topics

Back