Sunroof rattle

JordanB7

Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Tremor AMB 402A
Does anyones sunroof make rattling noises when hitting bumps? Mine sounds like the wind deflector hitting the glass. And if thats the case, how to stop it?

Don’t know how to stop it; I have looked all in there to try and find what is causing it. Drives me crazy! Finally set up a service/warranty appt to get the dealership to look at it

When I open the sunroof it stops the rattle; But other than that I can’t figure it out

Don’t know how to stop it; I have looked all in there to try and find what is causing it. Drives me crazy! Finally set up a service/warranty appt to get the dealership to look at it

When I open the sunroof it stops the rattle; But other than that I can’t figure it out

Yeah its driving me crazy too. I will do the same and set up one. It shouldnt be that loud. I will let you know what i find out too

If you are hearing the popping or creaking you have not been doing your roof maintenance.
Silicone spray worked into the gasket seam of the stationary glass. Clean the tracks and Krytox all the moving surfaces of the front glass and it all goes away. Open it at least once a month and keep the drain tubes clean and it will be problem free. I do it 2-3 times a year and have never had any problems with the roof since learning the roof is a maintenance item. Other tips the dealer told me is stay away from the tunnel car wash blowers. They can actually blow dirt and debris into the drain tubes and clog them and gum the rails up. When this happens the blowers can blow the plugged drain tubes off causing water leaks into the cab or the track to stick and break the plastic rails. Tons of YouTube videos on it and Krytox is easy to get. It is pretty expensive for such a small tube but way cheaper to buy it and spend 20 minutes to avoid a new roof, cab noise and future problems.

Thanks for the pointers; I’ll give that a try & see if I can avoid the dealership a little while longer

I had no idea. Just watched a few YouTube videos and bought some krytox.

Any links for lubricants?

I have no experience using this, but this is what I bought on Amazon. It comes on Thursday, so I can share how well it seems to work when I can try it out.

AGS SIL-Glyde Multi-Purpose All-Weather Lubricating Compound for All Surfaces - 8 oz Tube, Versitle Multi-Purpose Lubrication, All Weather, Auto, Home, Farm and Shop https://a.co/d/axLRC4s

I have no experience using this, but this is what I bought on Amazon. It comes on Thursday, so I can share how well it seems to work when I can try it out.

AGS SIL-Glyde Multi-Purpose All-Weather Lubricating Compound for All Surfaces - 8 oz Tube, Versitle Multi-Purpose Lubrication, All Weather, Auto, Home, Farm and Shop https://a.co/d/axLRC4s
Thanks man!

I use Krytox as that is what Ford recommends in their TSB. You can get it on Amazon. I clean and lube the seals 1-2x per year. My 17 had this rattle and it took me months to figure it out. Once I started using the Krytox regularly I never had it again.

Attachments

• Moon roof tsb 1.pdf
    853 KB · Views: 36
Thanks guys! My sun roof has been driving me crazy too!

That Krytox is some serious money though - Is it really that much better than the silglide or permatex products?

Thanks guys! My sun roof has been driving me crazy too!

That Krytox is some serious money though - Is it really that much better than the silglide or permatex products?
Krytox is designed specifically for a chemical environment and all types of seals with no additives. If you have let your roof go it takes a lot more for the initial application. But after that it goes a long ways. Way cheaper than a new roof or even taking time to go to the dealership.

Krytox is designed specifically for a chemical environment and all types of seals with no additives. If you have let your roof go it takes a lot more for the initial application. But after that it goes a long ways. Way cheaper than a new roof or even taking time to go to the dealership.
My truck is brand new. But I'm a big maintainer. Specific steps or areas to apply this? Any tips on prolonging the seals as well? Live in South Texas.

I use Krytox as that is what Ford recommends in their TSB. You can get it on Amazon. I clean and lube the seals 1-2x per year. My 17 had this rattle and it took me months to figure it out. Once I started using the Krytox regularly I never had it again.
So you applied krytox to the seals as well?

This is the official TSB lube for the stationary glass.

I use Permatex silicone spray and spray a bead down the seam of the stationary glass then take a thin trim tool and slide it down the gap and it runs into the seam and makes it silent. Be careful not to get it all over the glass or its hard to clean off.
I cleaned and Krytoxed the sunroof seals. It seemed to do a really good job. Do you lube the door seals and vertical window seals?

I cleaned and Krytoxed the sunroof seals. It seemed to do a really good job. Do you lube the door seals and vertical window seals?
That's what I'm wondering. Use krytox for all?

New Topics

Back