Truck Draining Battery Every Morning

rjg2000

Reaction score
Had this truck since Nov 2021 and this issue just recently started a few weeks ago. Driving habits have not changed so I think it has to be some kind of electrical issue. Every morning the truck battery was depleted to 40-50% so I would put it on the trickle charger. Finally it failed to start a few time and I had to get a jump. Took it to the dealer and they installed a new battery (under warranty)

I thought this would fix the issue but sadly something is still draining the battery at night. Just checked this morning and it was down to 60%. I did some research and performed the BMS reset procedure (attached) by flashing the brights 5 times and pumping the brakes 3 times but sadly this did not work either, I went to check today and it was 60% again (after charging last night to 100%)

Other than take it back to the dealer again, im kind of at a loss as to why this is happening? Any other ideas to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• BMS Reset.PNG
    BMS Reset.PNG
    371.9 KB · Views: 95
Do you have or added any aftermarket electrical devices / accessories?

Reset the BCM. Fixed my issues. Videos on YouTube
Yep i did that last night and battery was still at 60% this morning. Just charged battery and tried the BCM reset again, will see the results in the morning. May consider just pulling the BCM plug off the battery and see if that fixes it.

Charged the battery to 100% last night, did the BCM reset. Sadly this morning I went out to check and battery was at 60% again. Not sure what could possibly be draining the battery 40% overnight. I have a USB dash cam hooked into the rearview but I highly doubt that could be the issue. Will try and force a software update today otherwise back to the dealer next week.

UPDATE: Recharged the battery to 100% and ran the truck for 30 minutes this morning. Tested the pro power, etc and all ran fine.

After I shut it down I put the battery tender back on and it had ran back down to 60%. I doubt this is normal operation but I dont know much about these AGM batteries. Obviously the truck is unable to keep the battery charged so assuming the issue is either the alternator or BCM system itself.

How are you judging the state of charge? load test, voltage reading, OBDII? Are you letting the battery rest for a few hours before taking the first reading? A bad battery will still show a good charge level until the surface charge dissipates. A trickle charger is not enough to overcome the standard parasitic load these truck have. You need at least a 10 amp AGM charger unless it's in "Deep Sleep" mode.
Disconnect the battery completely from the truck. Charge it to full and wait overnight to see if it drops back to 60%. If it does, the battery has a bad cell. It's not like Ford is known for good batteries.

Yea I am charging using a 15 amp AGM compatible charger. I know when its too drained b/c the welcome lights and remote start wont work.

Now I just have to toss it on the charger every morning until I find the issue. I will pull the battery out of the truck and try that, would be really bad luck to get 2 faulty batteries in a row.

You can simply cruise by a parts store and they will test the battery for free. Then if the battery is bad have them print it off go to the dealership and have them test if they say different show you have already had it tested, then they can't really argue even if they try.

You can simply cruise by a parts store and they will test the battery for free. Then if the battery is bad have them print it off go to the dealership and have them test if they say different show you have already had it tested, then they can't really argue even if they try.
My buddy at the Stealership was telling me the process for the battery replacement. They have to fully charge the battery themselves let it sit and then load test it. If it falls in a certain threshold they will send it back out to the customer. I think it was something like 80%. If it was below this they would replace the battery. He said most are not fully charged. Best thing to do is just get a performance battery and matching charger from your favorite auto parts store or Batteries Plus and take the dealer out of the equation.

My buddy at the Stealership was telling me the process for the battery replacement. They have to fully charge the battery themselves let it sit and then load test it. If it falls in a certain threshold they will send it back out to the customer. I think it was something like 80%. If it was below this they would replace the battery. He said most are not fully charged. Best thing to do is just get a performance battery and matching charger from your favorite auto parts store or Batteries Plus and take the dealer out of the equation.
Agreed 100% bang for the buck I personally think it is hard to beat the yellow top optima but they seem to have gone downhill some still though I like them. Here's a video on different batteries being tested by project farm.

It's an older video not sure if he has done a recent one or not.

What's your recommendation for a performance battery?

I actually was able to get the dealer to swap the battery, I did another BCM/BMS reset and *might have corrected the drain issue this time. Will continue to monitor this week.

You said you have a dash cam plugged in? And that's all that's in besides what comes with the truck? Well I'd remove that and see if it's still doing it

Do you keep your fob anywhere near the truck when parked? I kept having low battery issues until I turned off the welcome/approach lighting. I believe it's under Settings > Vehicle > Ambient Lighting > Welcome Lighting. Haven't had an issue since.

Agreed 100% bang for the buck I personally think it is hard to beat the yellow top optima but they seem to have gone downhill some still though I like them. Here's a video on different batteries being tested by project farm.

It's an older video not sure if he has done a recent one or not.
What's your recommendation for a performance battery?
I was using Optima’s starting in the late 80’s. Building high end car audio systems and off road vehicles. Some vehicles would have as many as 12 batteries in them. The AGM battery’s would take a beating at competitions. When they got bought out by Johnson Control they really fell on their face. They cheaped out on the bus bar inside to save a little money and just didn’t produce the same power or reliability as before. Sometimes the bus bar would come off inside with off road use or high SPL levels. It has been rumored they fixed this problem but after spending ten’s of thousands of dollars on them I switched to Odyssey. They are so much better and with their pure lead in super thin sheets instead of spiral wound seemed to be a better design. I am a fan of EnerSys Batteries I have Odyssey in everything I own but my Tremor and the house batteries in my RV are Battle Born. I have an X2Power sitting in the garage to go in when my stock one craps out. It is a rebranded Northstar battery after EnerSys bought them out. Same tech and price as an Odyssey but it has a blue and gray look to match my blue truck. Yes, I’m vane, but I hope it lives up to the EnerSys Odyssey. Plus there is a Batteries Plus a few blocks away.

Side Note,
DiHard batteries have been manufactured by Johnson Control, Exide and EnerSys. I don’t know if any of you remember the big Sears/Exide scandal. After that they went back to Johnson Control and they sold out their battery division in 2019 to Clarios.

Do you keep your fob anywhere near the truck when parked? I kept having low battery issues until I turned off the welcome/approach lighting. I believe it's under Settings > Vehicle > Ambient Lighting > Welcome Lighting. Haven't had an issue since.
The key sits about 50 feet away but maybe this is worth a try. Does anyone know what the battery % is supposed to be in the mornings after sitting outside overnight? I doubt it, but maybe it is supposed to drop down until you drive again.

UPDATE: Checked this morning and battery was at 48%. Assumed it was low b/c the remote start was not working property. Going back to the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:
FWIW. Mine was down to 79% yesterday.
This was after driving the hell out of it and letting it sit for one day.
48% seems low.

Attachments

• 20231204_163739-resized.jpg
    20231204_163739-resized.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 16

New Topics

Back