What advantage does the 5.0 have vs the 3.5?

One advantage to the 5.0 is you can install a hidden winch without having to relocate the intercooler.

if your towing the rear exhaust hitting a trailer can be super annoying, i had a silverado with the 6.2 and gm performance (borla) and sounded amazing, but when the trailer was hooked up... it was annoying as hell for a long drive

do miss the sound otherwise, but the 3.5 is quiet even with rear exhaust, and more power than the 6.2 especially with the tune

I went with the 5.0 for really no other reason than I prefer V8 engines and they are a dying breed. Co-workers with 3.5 ecoboost trucks (I work in construction) have ALL had issues. Not to say a 5.0 truck is going to be trouble free, I just feel more comfortable with the Coyote and now that Ford Racing has teamed with Whipple for a S/C kit that keeps the warranty intact, my choice was easily made. Yes, I know the 3.5 can be tuned for likely less $ and I've also seen the TFL video where even the stock 2.7 EB is faster than the 5.0, and a tuned 3.5 XLT hit 60 in 4.3 seconds....so Yes, the EB engines are pretty amazing but I just want the V8. This is one of those discussions that will never have a consensus as we all know what opinions are like.

I went with the 5.0 for really no other reason than I prefer V8 engines and they are a dying breed. Co-workers with 3.5 ecoboost trucks (I work in construction) have ALL had issues. Not to say a 5.0 truck is going to be trouble free, I just feel more comfortable with the Coyote and now that Ford Racing has teamed with Whipple for a S/C kit that keeps the warranty intact, my choice was easily made. Yes, I know the 3.5 can be tuned for likely less $ and I've also seen the TFL video where even the stock 2.7 EB is faster than the 5.0, and a tuned 3.5 XLT hit 60 in 4.3 seconds....so Yes, the EB engines are pretty amazing but I just want the V8. This is one of those discussions that will never have a consensus as we all know what opinions are like.
The key there is TFL, a mile above sea level. Car and Driver got the exact same 1/4 mile time between the 5.0 and 3.5 EB stock for stock for their 2018 testing. Most 21+ 5.0 are doing 5.5-5.8 seconds 0-60 and low 14s from the factory on dragys I’ve seen vs the 14.4 shown on this test from last gen trucks, so they’ve only gotten faster. E-85 stock with no tune dips it into upper 13s on occasion.

I’m sure the 3.5 is quite a bit faster than their 2018 testing as well since it’s upped power figures by a good margin. The 5.0 upped 5 hp and 10 lb ft, and they did rework the torque curve to come on lower in the revs with new camshafts and intake manifold. The 3.5 got a 25 lb ft boost which is alot from the factory. I believe all the 3.5 get the OG HO 3.5 pistons now.

In 99.99% of circumstances the 5.0 is faster than a 2.7, and for highway passing the 2.7 is downright lethargic. At the end of the day for passing horsepower is king, horsepower is the work the engine is actually capable of (a function of torque x rpm). That puts you into motion. IMO the 3.5 EcoBoost and 5.0 are the only ways to go, the 2.7 is only impressive in town. It disappointed me when I drove it, don’t get the hype.

Last edited:
The key there is TFL, a mile above sea level. Car and Driver got the exact same 1/4 mile time between the 5.0 and 3.5 EB stock for stock for their 2018 testing. Most 21+ 5.0 are doing 5.5-5.8 seconds 0-60 and low 14s from the factory on dragys I’ve seen vs the 14.4 shown on this test from last gen trucks, so they’ve only gotten faster. E-85 stock with no tune dips it into upper 13s on occasion.

I’m sure the 3.5 is quite a bit faster than their 2018 testing as well since it’s upped power figures by a good margin. The 5.0 upped 5 hp and 10 lb ft, and they did rework the torque curve to come on lower in the revs with new camshafts and intake manifold. The 3.5 got a 25 lb ft boost which is alot from the factory. I believe all the 3.5 get the OG HO 3.5 pistons now.

In 99.99% of circumstances the 5.0 is faster than a 2.7, and for highway passing the 2.7 is downright lethargic. At the end of the day for passing horsepower is king, horsepower is the work the engine is actually capable of (a function of torque x rpm). That puts you into motion. IMO the 3.5 EcoBoost and 5.0 are the only ways to go, the 2.7 is only impressive in town. It disappointed me when I drove it, don’t get the hype.

Is the 3.0 not available in the F150? It is a peppy motor in my wife's Aviator AWD (400hp/400tq).

The 3.0 is a great engine, much better than the 2.7. I am just not sure where it would fit in the lineup on the F-150. The current 5.0L is rated at 400 hp/ 410 tq so they are pretty close, and having two 400 hp EcoBoosts wouldn’t make much sense, the V8 offers up something different that the 3.0 really wouldn’t. Even if we see added power on the refreshed 5.0 to slot the 3.0 between 2.7/5.0 I think it’s just too many engines.

The upcoming S650 Mustang 5.0 base is now 480 hp/ 418 tq and for the 5.0 H.O in the Dark Horse it’s now 500 hp/ 420 tq. Curious if the F-150 gets boosted as well, would be unusual not to. Every time since 2011 the Mustang has seen an increase in power so has the F-150.

I test drove the 5.0 and the 3.5 yesterday both 23s the 3.5 impressed me the 5.0 did ok but not what the 3.5 did. FYI
I test drove a 3.5 EB Tremor and 5.0 F150 before I ordered my 5.0 Tremor..... I found the 5.0 had more response when you step on it.

I test drove a 3.5 EB Tremor and 5.0 F150 before I ordered my 5.0 Tremor..... I found the 5.0 had more response when you step on it.
Yes, the 5.0 comes alive big time at about 3,000 rpm when you hear that valve overlap change. It’s more of a revver, and that is the nature of a high tech naturally aspirated DOHC V8. If you don’t get into the throttle at all it’s pretty tame around town. Becomes a monster fast when you tip into the throttle though. Different driving experiences for sure where the EcoBoost has crazy grunt from idle.

1689082506931.png

The 3.0 is a great engine, much better than the 2.7. I am just not sure where it would fit in the lineup on the F-150. The current 5.0L is rated at 400 hp/ 410 tq so they are pretty close, and having two 400 hp EcoBoosts wouldn’t make much sense, the V8 offers up something different that the 3.0 really wouldn’t. Even if we see added power on the refreshed 5.0 to slot the 3.0 between 2.7/5.0 I think it’s just too many engines.

The upcoming S650 Mustang 5.0 base is now 480 hp/ 418 tq and for the 5.0 H.O in the Dark Horse it’s now 500 hp/ 420 tq. Curious if the F-150 gets boosted as well, would be unusual not to. Every time since 2011 the Mustang has seen an increase in power so has the F-150.
The 3.0 will be used un the Ranger Raptor. Ford has been doing a lot of engine juggling lately. The 2.3 is gone on the Corsair. The 2.7 is gone on the Nautilus. They added a supercharger package for 5.O.

Picked up the '23 401A Tremor 5.0 order on Saturday. Only driven it about 30 miles, so far so good. A little surprised at the stock exhaust sound. I think it is louder than my 2015 Mustang 5.0 was stock. Power seems very good but have not really gotten into the throttle yet. I am planning to install the Ford Racing S/C kit once I hit about 500 miles.
F150 Tremor.jpg

New Topics

Back