Who's got a SofTopper?

Techguy82

Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Stone Gray 402A Tremor
I transferred my softopper from my old '16 F150 to my Tremor. The back panel hangs down and blocks the rear camera. Who can share some pictures of how you have installed yours to prevent blocking the camera? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221218_142805.jpg
    20221218_142805.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 153
  • 20221218_142753.jpg
    20221218_142753.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 110
I’m running a softopper but with a MTB tailgate pad that seems to keep it away from the camera . I’ll post pics when I get back home. Hope I don’t have that problem when I pull the pad off!

I’m running a softopper but with a MTB tailgate pad that seems to keep it away from the camera . I’ll post pics when I get back home. Hope I don’t have that problem when I pull the pad off!
Thanks! Fellow MTB'r here, haven't tried my pad on my tailgate yet since i just picked up the truck last weekend. On my '16 the camera was blocked with my pad, but since it is higher on the Tremor it might work. I could probably just run the pad all the time and not worry about, although tailgate step work surface would be blocked...

@Cheif2Slo and @Techguy82 can y’all post pics of your trucks with the top?

I’ve had my eyes on these. Seems like they would be good for camping.

It’s great for camping and the rad of installing and removal is awesome . Has a few faults, can’t auto raise the tailgate without lithe flaps blocking the latches, rear window gets stiff in the winter, but I do like it and am glad I got it. I do think I’m going to swap out for the tonneau for the rest of the winter. It’ll go back on for camping season though.

6C59F902-6282-4D75-85A3-44DCF0D44201.jpeg

Attachments

• A44907A5-6940-45D8-B8CF-EC98EE21069C.jpeg
    A44907A5-6940-45D8-B8CF-EC98EE21069C.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 29961D42-F2F3-4E40-B316-C33CAB77E8BF.jpeg
    29961D42-F2F3-4E40-B316-C33CAB77E8BF.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 91
I transferred my softopper from my old '16 F150 to my Tremor. The back panel hangs down and blocks the rear camera. Who can share some pictures of how you have installed yours to prevent blocking the camera? Thanks!
Sorry about the delay man, I just recently removed my tailgate pad and it’s not covering the camera at all, I’ll be out of town for the next few days but I’ll try to remember to get pics when I get back for ya.

It’s great for camping and the rad of installing and removal is awesome . Has a few faults, can’t auto raise the tailgate without lithe flaps blocking the latches, rear window gets stiff in the winter, but I do like it and am glad I got it. I do think I’m going to swap out for the tonneau for the rest of the winter. It’ll go back on for camping season though.

View attachment 15597
Nice! Looks pretty good. What are the limits in driving with the flaps up? Can you cruise down the interstate with the flaps up?

Yep, you can drive in any configuration. It has built in straps, you just roll up the panel you want up, clip the strap and away you go. I’ve had mine over 100 with absolutely no flapping or noise. It’s pretty impressive how solid and well built it is for how light it is. Stays dry in the rain as well, even at speed.

Finally got some pics without the tailgate pad. The topper doesn’t block the camera on mine. I did order it new for the ‘21 so maybe there’s some slight changes?

Attachments

• 1E322FA5-259B-4FE1-B28A-2D9CC8581B0D.jpeg
    1E322FA5-259B-4FE1-B28A-2D9CC8581B0D.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 47E02941-3C7E-43FB-8688-E157E53C8AAE.jpeg
    47E02941-3C7E-43FB-8688-E157E53C8AAE.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 61
I like the way these look and have considered them.

However, what is the benefit or the point of these? I’m struggling to understand? It certainly doesn’t keep your goods secure as this can be easily cut.

I’m not hating, just legit wondering what utility they provide?

Big draw for me was versatility, I wanted a cap for camping but also did not want to loose the ability to load tall stuff or walk around in the bed to shovel mulch, topsoil, etc. I can fold up the softopper in about a minute or remove it in 5 and hang it in the wall if the garage. It does have drawbacks but everything is a compromise. I’d love a smart cap or a GFC but I’m not willing to sacrifice my open bed permanently.

Big draw for me was versatility, I wanted a cap for camping but also did not want to loose the ability to load tall stuff or walk around in the bed to shovel mulch, topsoil, etc. I can fold up the softopper in about a minute or remove it in 5 and hang it in the wall if the garage. It does have drawbacks but everything is a compromise. I’d love a smart cap or a GFC but I’m not willing to sacrifice my open bed permanently.
What’s the benefit over a tonneau cover? Is it for having larger objects in the bed covered ?

Yep, I have a tonneau as well, and I love it for most things but space is limited. I went with an easy to remove roll up tonneau, Truxedo Pro X15, for the same reasons, I value bed accessibility over almost all else. I just can't fit all my camp stuff under a tonneau though. The topper also makes it easier to carry multiple kids hocky bags in the winter months. Its not perfect, but its been nice to have. I'll swap them back and forth as situation dictates. I'm really looking at and wanting a rack to go over it so I can join the cool kids club :LOL: but I'm concerned about accessibility with even that.

What’s the benefit over a tonneau cover? Is it for having larger objects in the bed
I have a tonneau and softopper. I used to take my front wheel off of my mountain bike and slide it in to keep it out of site for my obligitory after ride dinner/beer, the tonneau would hide it well. My newest mountain bike requires me to use tools to remove the front wheel and it's just not as easy. With the softopper I can slide my bike in the bed completely intact and it can be out of sight. I lock it up as well, but the softopper does a great job of keeping it out of sight from would be thieves. It is also great for camping as I can fit way more gear and keep it dry.

I keep looking at these thinking that I want both, ideally at the same time. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to modify the mounting on a retrax pro to also accommodate a soft topper?

I keep looking at these thinking that I want both, ideally at the same time. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to modify the mounting on a retrax pro to also accommodate a soft topper?
I don’t think it would work. The support bars and pivot for them dip into the bed a few inches if I remember right. Out of town now so I can’t run out and check though. I think I’ve finally decided on an Adarac Aluminum Pro to go over the sofftopper though, looks just as versatile as the topper!

I don’t think it would work. The support bars and pivot for them dip into the bed a few inches if I remember right. Out of town now so I can’t run out and check though. I think I’ve finally decided on an Adarac Aluminum Pro to go over the sofftopper though, looks just as versatile as the topper!
Looks interesting. Thanks!

New Topics

Back