Front differential Fluid Change

Johnny B

Reaction score
Please bear with me, I'm new to Fords, and have largely been a Toyota guy in the past. But am I correct that there is no drain plug on the front differential? I was about to do a lube swap in front and though I would do a quick search on the web for some tips. All I could find were procedures to suck out the fluid from the fill plug, or pull the cover on the front diff. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the lack of a drain plug--maybe I missed it.

Best, JB

Please bear with me, I'm new to Fords, and have largely been a Toyota guy in the past. But am I correct that there is no drain plug on the front differential? I was about to do a lube swap in front and though I would do a quick search on the web for some tips. All I could find were procedures to suck out the fluid from the fill plug, or pull the cover on the front diff. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the lack of a drain plug--maybe I missed it.

Best, JB
There is no drain plug and to remove the front cover you will have to remove the steering rack. Nightmare stuff, just suck it out using a vac tool. That’s how I did mine. It’s not perfect as you don’t get to spray the house down with brake clean but maybe on my next one I’ll take the cover off. It was good enough for me for now though. Cheers.

New Topics

Back