Sleeping in the bed

Sled

New member
Joined
Mar 23, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
4
Location
Utah
Current Ride
23 XLT Fx4
First off, my tremor is a great truck. Almost the perfect truck for me. I bought it new last April and I'm rolling 80k this week. Not being a hotel guy, I camp out and often sleep in the bed of the truck while on my work trips. At 6' tall the 5.5 bed doesn't cut it when it starts raining in the middle of the night and the tailgate gets closed. In a perfect world, Ford would make a 6.5' box on the f150 tremor. The simple solutions aren't my first choice. I don't want to run a tent due to the weight and time it takes to setup and I'm leery of trying to upgrade an FX4 to get both the ground clearance and bed length I need. I just don't think the suspension will perform near as well on the rough roads I drive.

So, are there any quick options to securely enclose the tailgate open if I add a shell? Is my best option to find a truck with a 6.5 box (tundra or fx4) and build it up to the level of a tremor?
 
First off, my tremor is a great truck. Almost the perfect truck for me. I bought it new last April and I'm rolling 80k this week. Not being a hotel guy, I camp out and often sleep in the bed of the truck while on my work trips. At 6' tall the 5.5 bed doesn't cut it when it starts raining in the middle of the night and the tailgate gets closed. In a perfect world, Ford would make a 6.5' box on the f150 tremor. The simple solutions aren't my first choice. I don't want to run a tent due to the weight and time it takes to setup and I'm leery of trying to upgrade an FX4 to get both the ground clearance and bed length I need. I just don't think the suspension will perform near as well on the rough roads I drive.

So, are there any quick options to securely enclose the tailgate open if I add a shell? Is my best option to find a truck with a 6.5 box (tundra or fx4) and build it up to the level of a tremor?
So do you have an XLT with the FX4 package and a 5.5 bed and you’re wanting a TREMOR or thinking about a Tundra?
The reason I’m asking is because you listed your current ride as a 23 XLT Fx4.
 
So do you have an XLT with the FX4 package and a 5.5 bed and you’re wanting a TREMOR or thinking about a Tundra?
The reason I’m asking is because you listed your current ride as a 23 XLT Fx4.

Sorry, that was my old truck. I have a holdover 24 tremor 402a. I typically run trucks to 90k, so I'm close to finding a new holdover 26 or I'd order exactly what I need if I could.
 

It's a good option but takes up space to store and time to setup. Also it's obvious someone is sleeping in there if it's up. I try to draw as little attention as possible and sleep where I can but it's not always a place I know on the BLM/FS. If I can roll in, climb in the back and get a few hours of sleep without much setup and tear down, I'd be happy. Maybe a tarp coming off a closed shell window. Currently I'm sleeping under the hard tonneau cover when it rains. The sleeping pad gets stuffed/folded on a diagonal.
 
Maybe something like this.
1000036945.webp
 
Maybe something like this.View attachment 48071

That topper looks like it stores compact and might setup quick. For rain it could be an option. Security might be lacking but I could diagonal in when I'm in less secure areas.

If I wanted to stick with a 6.5' bed, are there any options that can compete with the tremor? The wish list is long but thought out. In order of importance:
Reliable mechanically
Capable 4x4 for snow, trail, ice (with locker)
Great suspension for high speed washboard dirt/gravel roads.
Comfortable seats - bad back plus lots of windshield time.
Good gas mileage - I average 16.5-18.5 calculated with mostly hwy miles on the tremor 3.5 and 19 on the FX4 3.5 with 3.55 gears.
Clearance for rock on trails (tremor height or better).
Tow mirrors for limited SxS and snowmobile trailer towing.
Bed length >6' for crawling into in the dark after driving 16-18 hours a day.

I'm sure I've left some out but they're probably not that important to me if I forgot them.

I've looked online and considered the F-150 lariat with a small lift and 6.5 box. The Tundra or Tacoma Trail Hunter. Those need to be already built since they don't build to order and it'd be difficult to find my specs. The Tacoma wouldn't be used for towing if I picked one of those up. Not sure if want to drive up a steep hill in that with weight behind it, considering it's a 4 cylinder turbo. Talk about heat damage.
 
Excluding the Raptor, it’s really not worth it financially to build a F150 with the same features as a TREMOR.

The FX4 with a 6.5 bed, upgraded coil over shocks in the front and matching rear shocks, and better off road tires are all that you really need to do what you’re interested in and it’ll be just as reliable as a TREMOR.

With being said, have you considered jumping up to a F250 TREMOR?

You’ll automatically have the bed length you’re looking for and you can get a NA V8 or diesel.

Just a little food for thought.😎
 
Excluding the Raptor, it’s really not worth it financially to build a F150 with the same features as a TREMOR.

The FX4 with a 6.5 bed, upgraded coil over shocks in the front and matching rear shocks, and better off road tires are all that you really need to do what you’re interested in and it’ll be just as reliable as a TREMOR.

With being said, have you considered jumping up to a F250 TREMOR?

You’ll automatically have the bed length you’re looking for and you can get a NA V8 or diesel.

Just a little food for thought.😎

I did think about the f250 but the gas mileage is a significant drop. If I went diesel, who knows what price will be tomorrow and then I'd have to contend with DEF. Wouldn't want to be stuck because I ran out of that.

With the FX4, the coil over should give it a lift, hopefully not enough to change the shaft angles on the Tcase to need a drop kit. Would it ride similar or stiffer than the tremor? I'd imagine cost with tires might be a little over 5k.

Thanks for the ideas
 
Back
Top