Transmission Shifting Pattern Changing or Glitching in Normal?

arb_f150_11

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
21
Location
Chicago
Current Ride
F150 Tremor
I am around 6,500 miles. At around 5,000 or so I noticed that the lower gear shifting in Normal mode has changed and feels like the trans is slipping maybe somewhere between 2 and 4 gear (although hard to tell because of the lack of gear display in Normal mode). It is inconsistent. Sometimes when the engine is cold it is worse. Other times it is after a series of short trips.

I don't believe it is happening in Sport mode, although those that would say just drive in Sport, I prefer to have a more mellow shifting pattern for around-town commuting.

When this is happening and I notice it, I am driving mostly in town (under 40 mph) or in slow or stop and go traffic.

Only other data point is that I recently towed a camper a few times for someone (with a WDH and within the payload limits) when in tow mode. Don't know if the trans changes after you do some heavier than normal towing. Might be grasping for straws here.

Is this the trans learning issue noted on other threads that can be reset or does this sound like a trans issue that needs dealer diagnosis?

Thanks
 
Can’t help with shifting issues, however you can bring up gear display by pushing top button on side of shifter. Might help let you know what is going on.

BTW. I only have 4000 miles on mine. It will sometimes shift hard for no reason. Occasionally it will downshift unexpectedly. It really is a strange acting transmission. I had a 2020 f150 with 10 speed, it seemed to shift better, or at least it was consistent.
 
Last edited:
I am around 6,500 miles. At around 5,000 or so I noticed that the lower gear shifting in Normal mode has changed and feels like the trans is slipping maybe somewhere between 2 and 4 gear (although hard to tell because of the lack of gear display in Normal mode). It is inconsistent. Sometimes when the engine is cold it is worse. Other times it is after a series of short trips.

I don't believe it is happening in Sport mode, although those that would say just drive in Sport, I prefer to have a more mellow shifting pattern for around-town commuting.

When this is happening and I notice it, I am driving mostly in town (under 40 mph) or in slow or stop and go traffic.

Only other data point is that I recently towed a camper a few times for someone (with a WDH and within the payload limits) when in tow mode. Don't know if the trans changes after you do some heavier than normal towing. Might be grasping for straws here.

Is this the trans learning issue noted on other threads that can be reset or does this sound like a trans issue that needs dealer diagnosis?

Thanks
Have you checked for software updates?
 
I have. It’s up to date. Last update was August which could possibly align but who knows.
You might want stop by your dealer because there might be a TSB software update that has to be done in shop.
I do know that this has been the case on some 10 speed equipped F150’s.
 
Lots of software in the 10R80. It has torque based shifting, rpm predictive shifting, torque converter lock around 3-4, and adaptive shifting software to keep the transmission calibrated as the parts age. With all of that, it can sometimes get itself into a suboptimal area. It will usually move on after a week or two or you can do the KAM reset to let it relearn again. If it is consistent over a longer period of time there is probably a mechanical issue.

I have torque based shifting and rpm predictive turned off and don’t allow the torque converter to lock until 6th gear. All of the shifting is much more consistent but it still has short periods, a day or two, of weird shifting occasionally.
 
Lots of software in the 10R80. It has torque based shifting, rpm predictive shifting, torque converter lock around 3-4, and adaptive shifting software to keep the transmission calibrated as the parts age. With all of that, it can sometimes get itself into a suboptimal area. It will usually move on after a week or two or you can do the KAM reset to let it relearn again. If it is consistent over a longer period of time there is probably a mechanical issue.

I have torque based shifting and rpm predictive turned off and don’t allow the torque converter to lock until 6th gear. All of the shifting is much more consistent but it still has short periods, a day or two, of weird shifting occasionally.
I assume turning off the shifting is a FORscan or tune thing, right?
 
Back
Top