On Board Air

Nickac

Reaction score
Current Ride
2016 F-150
Ok, so I'm looking at doing this for a reasonable price. I only need to air down a few times a year. I'm not a offroader but a hunter. I want to use the outfitter switches and have a permanent install but also don't want to spend $600 on a co.pressor. So there's what I'm thinking.

Builtright bed panels and an EGOI portable compressor but mount it in the truck. It's only $150 for 5.5cfm. ARB IS $600

Is this lame? Let me know your thoughts. Alternatively I can go with the $300 ARB compressor. I think the Built Right panel is the way to go. All the other brackets for air co professors are too expensive.

I just finished my setup yesterday.

I’m using the rough country dual compressor. From what I can tell, it’s the arb just rebranded. It’s about $300 and has a 3 yr warranty.

I mounted it to a bed panel and also a using the 35’ compact reel from apex designs to keep things cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 57
I went with the EZ-Flate MOAB case instead. Easily mobile, in case you're with a group and someone else doesn't have the ability to air down/up. If any of you are interested, I've got a discount code. About $500 with quad hose system.

OVS had an ARB clone from updownair but I dont see it on their site anymore. They're doing some decent sales right now though - i picked up the twin for i think $290/320. Plan to do similar to @Cblaxx19 once i pick his brain on wiring :LOL:

Personally I dont think its lame. the clamp style or the "hardwire" are both decent options so find one that fits your needs/budget. I will say these smaller portable compressors air up tires way more efficiently without getting stupid hot if you get a multi-tire hose kit. morrflate has a nice one (and did a group buy a while back) and speedflate has a kit in orange for glorious Tremor matchy matchy.

Thanks guys. I was hoping u up down Air would have a single stagebclone of the ARB but I don't see it. Issue is I want to use upfitter but they are only good for 40 amps. It's no biggie since I this k I would just install a relay? Vair has a 80 amp relay.

I like the Rough County for half the price but didn't know if it was legit.

Thanks guys. I was hoping u up down Air would have a single stagebclone of the ARB but I don't see it. Issue is I want to use upfitter but they are only good for 40 amps. It's no biggie since I this k I would just install a relay? Vair has a 80 amp relay.

I like the Rough County for half the price but didn't know if it was legit.
the upfitters are only good up to 15A. only the superduties have 40A circuits. you are going to need to use a seperate relay with power direct from the battery to run a compressor. then you could use an upfitter to trigger the relay. but realistically, the upfitters are not a convenient location for using a compressor. do you really want to reach inside the cab to turn compressor on/off whenever you use it. to me, it seems more prudent to have the switch near where you grab the hose.

the rough country seems solid so far for me. I've only had it for about 5 months, but for my use frequency, the ARB cost made no sense.

the upfitters are only good up to 15A. only the superduties have 40A circuits. you are going to need to use a seperate relay with power direct from the battery to run a compressor. then you could use an upfitter to trigger the relay. but realistically, the upfitters are not a convenient location for using a compressor. do you really want to reach inside the cab to turn compressor on/off whenever you use it. to me, it seems more prudent to have the switch near where you grab the hose.

the rough country seems solid so far for me. I've only had it for about 5 months, but for my use frequency, the ARB cost made no sense.
Hmm… I thought switches 1-4 were 15 amps and 5&6 were 40? In any event the external relay is the way to go for sure. My thought was I would mount the compressor with the BR bracket at the front of the cab. The compressor would be out of the way. Then run a hose under the frame with a disconnect close to my the hitch. Plug in and air up.

Thanks for your opinion on the RC compressor. I'm gonna get that one.

Hmm… I thought switches 1-4 were 15 amps and 5&6 were 40? In any event the external relay is the way to go for sure. My thought was I would mount the compressor with the BR bracket at the front of the cab. The compressor would be out of the way. Then run a hose under the frame with a disconnect close to my the hitch. Plug in and air up.

Thanks for your opinion on the RC compressor. I'm gonna get that one.
upfitters 1 & 2 are 10A, 3&4 are 15A, 5&6 are 5A.

I use this M18 Milwaukee and it’s awesome. Air down every weekend at the beach… and it’s a lot cheaper! You set the pressure and it turns off automatically. Fills the tire in about a min. Worth a look..
IMG_3030.jpeg

In my truck, I carry a portable Viaair. Came with a case, lives under the back seat. Clamps onto the battery terminals.

In my Jeep, which airs up every time it goes out, I have a hard mounted ARB twin.

I also have the Milkwaukee pump above, but to keep in the truck requires having a battery and charger too. It stays home in the garage.

In my truck, I carry a portable Viaair. Came with a case, lives under the back seat. Clamps onto the battery terminals.

In my Jeep, which airs up every time it goes out, I have a hard mounted ARB twin.

I also have the Milkwaukee pump above, but to keep in the truck requires having a battery and charger too. It stays home in the garage.

I bought the Viair too ,three or four years ago not too bad for the price if I was airing up daily I guess I would do something different

I use this M18 Milwaukee and it’s awesome. Air down every weekend at the beach… and it’s a lot cheaper! You set the pressure and it turns off automatically. Fills the tire in about a min. Worth a look..View attachment 27818
I have this as well and it’s been great so far. If I was doing a real onboard system I would have air quick connects at each tire and a storage tank. If you don’t have a storage tank you might as well have one of these and a couple extra batteries or a Power Tank.

The storage tank doesn’t help for tire fills. They don’t hold enough to make a difference. They do help to run an air tool like an impact, but not many people carry air tools anymore.

The storage tank doesn’t help for tire fills. They don’t hold enough to make a difference. They do help to run an air tool like an impact, but not many people carry air tools anymore.
Off road much? It does depend on the tank size but it’s absolutely helps. If you are doing it the old school way with one hose the tank is being filled as you drag your hose from one tire to the next storing air as you mess around. You have a decent sized tank and HF couplers it can help you set a bead with a little eather. You can run an air locker and fill your air bags without turning on the compressor. Same with filling bike tires or balls can be done without the compressor on. You can run a train horn if that’s your style. And my favorite use is you can blow yourself and gear off on the trail or before you go home. Once you have a tanked system you use way more on a day to day basis just keeping the truck clean. If you’re not enjoying those perks of a tank you might as well have the cordless hand held that uses the same batteries as your impact gun, lights and saw. You can even charge the battery’s as you drive down the road these days.

Off road much? It does depend on the tank size but it’s absolutely helps. If you are doing it the old school way with one hose the tank is being filled as you drag your hose from one tire to the next storing air as you mess around. You have a decent sized tank and HF couplers it can help you set a bead with a little eather. You can run an air locker and fill your air bags without turning on the compressor. Same with filling bike tires or balls can be done without the compressor on. You can run a train horn if that’s your style. And my favorite use is you can blow yourself and gear off on the trail or before you go home. Once you have a tanked system you use way more on a day to day basis just keeping the truck clean. If you’re not enjoying those perks of a tank you might as well have the cordless hand held that uses the same batteries as your impact gun, lights and saw. You can even charge the battery’s as you drive down the road these days.
I've had tanked systems before on several rigs. When tires are 37" or bigger, the 2 gallon tank is out in a few seconds. Sure maybe a 10 gallon tank will make a difference. But what really helps is having a bigger compressor. I've converted the A/C compressor on a Ford 5.0 V8 where the whole rear 2x4 tube bumper was the air tank. I have a $1000 Australian extreme aire system, so yes I know about on board air. For me, the little ARB twin with no tank works just fine for airing up tires. Tanked systems are a pain to build, lots of places for leaks, and yada yada. But yes, you can blow yourself off, rock a train horn, or power air lockers without the compressor cycling so much. But the OP is asking about occasionally airing up his Tremor tires which I think a tank is over complicating it.

But the OP is asking about occasionally airing up his Tremor tires which I think a tank is over complicating it.
So you missed the guys point of the hand held compressor. It surly does not overcomplicate things and is perfect for the occasional use. I have a twin air and 10# Power Tank in the garage that don’t get used much since the hand held. Oh ya, I do have 37s on mine. Of course the twin air out performs it . But my point is if I’m going to go through the hassle of hard mounting it, wire it and pack hoses with me. (Yes that mini reel is awesome) I would take the time do build it with a tank. two extra connection points and a drain to leak if you have one. Not a big deal. It makes a true air system, not just an inflator.

I went with the EZ-Flate MOAB case instead. Easily mobile, in case you're with a group and someone else doesn't have the ability to air down/up. If any of you are interested, I've got a discount code. About $500 with quad hose system.
Ya I'm interested. I was also thinking of permanent mount the EZ Flate MESA to a build right bed bracket. Doe your coupon code work for that?

New Topics

Back