Stealth Overland Build

Dick_Rickety

Tremor of the Month
Reaction score
I wanted to share my stealth camping set up. I didn't like the idea of a rooftop tent, instead I went all internal. I've built a header with a small compartment for a sleeping back (etc.), a side bin for chairs (tables, etc), a huge drawer for the necessities (stove, kitchen, etc.), and a small drawer located at the head for a pillow and extra blanket. I leveraged the ARE Z2 toppers roof rail system to install 1"x2"s as a mounting surface for a cargo net, and an LED strip just under the gate glass for extra lighting. There's also a SwingBox and Built-Right MOLLE panels/bags for additional anchors and storage. Rounded it out with a TopperTent allowing me to use the tailgate to extend the sleeping surface (I'm 6'2" and use a small step-stool to support the length of my sleeping pad). Next up is a Rhino Rack crossbar system with a 270 degree Batwing.

So far, I'm loving the set up. Innovations welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4018.jpg
    IMG_4018.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7464.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 97
Nice! Hey hard to tell from pics but how's the ARE cap, specifically color match and quality of paint?
My 2 last ARE caps going back 2014, had 100's of tiny pits in the paint all over. ARE defect warranty called out you need 100 defects in 1 sq ft. to be bad(wtf). Last one in 2016 was a horrible color match, so bad I paid a grand to have it repainted, really ticked me off! Only reason I'm considering again I feel the rest of the quality was great compared to Leer and most of all can remove the damn deacal without leaving a 1/4" triangle divot in the shell

I wanted to share my stealth camping set up. I didn't like the idea of a rooftop tent, instead I went all internal. I've built a header with a small compartment for a sleeping back (etc.), a side bin for chairs (tables, etc), a huge drawer for the necessities (stove, kitchen, etc.), and a small drawer located at the head for a pillow and extra blanket. I leveraged the ARE Z2 toppers roof rail system to install 1"x2"s as a mounting surface for a cargo net, and an LED strip just under the gate glass for extra lighting. There's also a SwingBox and Built-Right MOLLE panels/bags for additional anchors and storage. Rounded it out with a TopperTent allowing me to use the tailgate to extend the sleeping surface (I'm 6'2" and use a small step-stool to support the length of my sleeping pad). Next up is a Rhino Rack crossbar system with a 270 degree Batwing.

Nice.
Looks very convenient and comfortable especially if you’re camping alone not to mention the huge amount of space for another sleeping area with the rear seats folded up. The perfect area for an air mattress.

Nice! Hey hard to tell from pics but how's the ARE cap, specifically color match and quality of paint?
My 2 last ARE caps going back 2014, had 100's of tiny pits in the paint all over. ARE defect warranty called out you need 100 defects in 1 sq ft. to be bad(wtf). Last one in 2016 was a horrible color match, so bad I paid a grand to have it repainted, really ticked me off! Only reason I'm considering again I feel the rest of the quality was great compared to Leer and most of all can remove the damn deacal without leaving a 1/4" triangle divot in the shell
I like the ARE. It's solid. I especially like the heavy duty hinges on the window compared the others. Color matched exactly.

I thought about that with the Leer as well. I did find a ton of replacement stickers on Etsy and other platforms allowing you to customize the topper. At the end of the day I liked the ARE Z2.

Nice, have you thought about putting a DAC tent over the back?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_095243_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_095243_Chrome.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice, have you thought about putting a DAC tent over the back?
I didn't care for the way it attached to the truck. Also, had concerns with the profile related to weather (snow/rain) and wind in the rockies.

I went with https://thetoppertent.com instead which won't get in the way of roof racks, batwings, etc. It also has a small footprint when stored.

Attachments

• IMG_4130 2.jpg
    IMG_4130 2.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 2
I didn't care for the way it attached to the truck. Also, had concerns with the profile related to weather (snow/rain) and wind in the rockies.

I went with https://thetoppertent.com instead which won't get in the way of roof racks, batwings, etc. It also has a small footprint when stored.
Nice, I wonder if that will work with a RSI Smartcap.

I think if I was going to order a cap like that I would go with the aluminum smart cap might be a little more but I think it's built way better I had an a r e cab before and it was so so for build quality

New Topics

Back