Custom Third Brake Light/Chase light

Cblaxx19

Tremor of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
‘21 Leadfoot Grey 402A Tremor
So I’ve been playing with my new 3D printer and have been toying with the idea of making a custom third brake lights that utilizes diode dynamics rock lights for lighting.

I’ve mostly been working on getting the roof line curvature figured out and fitting the rock lights. I think I’ve pretty much nailed that down now so I can start working the full up design.
IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_9841.jpeg

The final idea is to have a full blown third brake light that has red brake/running light, white bed lighting, and amber chase lights that could be tied to a strobe module.

IMG_9690.jpeg

This is just my initial concept, I need to work in the bolt locations as well as the bed camera. I’d also like to incorporate the rear a I installed for my wolfbox rear view mirror camera setup instead of it being mounted inside the rear window glass.

Feel free to comment thoughts, suggestions, etc.

So I’ve been playing with my new 3D printer and have been toying with the idea of making a custom third brake lights that utilizes diode dynamics rock lights for lighting.

I’ve mostly been working on getting the roof line curvature figured out and fitting the rock lights. I think I’ve pretty much nailed that down now so I can start working the full up design.
View attachment 25648
View attachment 25649

The final idea is to have a full blown third brake light that has red brake/running light, white bed lighting, and amber chase lights that could be tied to a strobe module.

View attachment 25650

This is just my initial concept, I need to work in the bolt locations as well as the bed camera. I’d also like to incorporate the rear a I installed for my wolfbox rear view mirror camera setup instead of it being mounted inside the rear window glass.

Feel free to comment thoughts, suggestions, etc.
It's crooked...

It's crooked...
what's crooked?! man, i post something that i think is cool and people focus on my poor picture taking skills..... 😞

progressing the design a little. the camera area is just a swag so far based on some rough measurements.

1704746417088.png

Last edited:
Pretty snazzy I like it.

I’m a very aesthetic person and can’t seem to break myself into many of the traditional off-road light solutions. This looks good for sure.

what's crooked?! man, i post something that i think is cool and people focus on my poor picture taking skills..... 😞

progressing the design a little. the camera area is just a swag so far based on some rough measurements.

View attachment 25658
Bro, just razing you. I think it's pretty cool just having some fun with you. Kudos on the efforts there.

Looking forward to seeing the final product. Maybe V2 will be for us non-camera'd folks.

Will you be able to make the grill light you designed strobe with the chase lights?
i'm not sure if the grille lights can be made to strobe(at least if you have the animation controller). i feel like the way the controller works, a strobe unit would just make the animation trigger repeatedly.

Wow, that looks really good! I don’t like many of the aftermarket 3rd brake lights, but I’d buy that. Keep up the good work and I hope it comes to market!

@Cblaxx19 One thing I’ve been slightly yearning for is an OEM-ish looking euro-style rear fog light that can be wired up to an AUX switch. Not sure if anyone shares that sentiment, but it’s a feature that could potentially be worked into your product at some point.

@Cblaxx19 One thing I’ve been slightly yearning for is an OEM-ish looking euro-style rear fog light that can be wired up to an AUX switch. Not sure if anyone shares that sentiment, but it’s a feature that could potentially be worked into your product at some point.
What exactly are you thinking here?

What would be super cool, but a huge endeavor. Would be to find a better quality camera and make kit fit in a new rear light bracket with all the other goodies you have. Until I put my bed rack on I loved using this camera to watch and see if the boat was bouncing on the trailer or the cover was getting loose.

What would be super cool, but a huge endeavor. Would be to find a better quality camera and make kit fit in a new rear light bracket with all the other goodies you have. Until I put my bed rack on I loved using this camera to watch and see if the boat was bouncing on the trailer or the cover was getting loose.
All the reading I’ve done on making a better camera has led to it not really being a camera problem but a larger system problem and not being able to handle a larger data packet from a nice camera.

What exactly are you thinking here?
It’s common on euro vehicles to have a “rear fog light” that comes on when you activate the front fog lights (I was thinking aux switch). It’s like constant brake light brightness from a non-brake light location (but often in the same housing).

The point is to let help people see you as they approach, but not give the impression you’re currently braking.

People in the US love to use their hazards for this purpose 🙄 FL even has traffic signs telling people explicitly not to use their hazards for this purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 28
It’s common on euro vehicles to have a “rear fog light” that comes on when you activate the front fog lights (I was thinking aux switch). It’s like constant brake light brightness from a non-brake light location (but often in the same housing).

The point is to let help people see you as they approach, but not give the impression you’re currently braking.

People in the US love to use their hazards for this purpose 🙄 FL even has traffic signs telling people explicitly not to use their hazards for this purpose.
Gotcha, I think my plan to have the 3 dot lights act as a running light essentially serves that purpose? I’m sure there are various ways to wire up the lights I install differently to act however desired.

Is there a recognized "standard" of where chase lights need to be mounted? I get rear facing but is there something that says if outboard there must be two vs central you can run one and they cant be above/below xxxxxx?

New Topics

Back