Problem with my dealership honoring X-Plan pricing

rdtwtf

Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 F150 Tremor
I went to the dealership and made a down payment on a custom 2022 F-150 Tremor on 2/9/22 and at that time I confirmed they accepted x-plan pricing and gave them my PIN. I received the order confirmation email from Ford on 2/10/22.

Fast forward to today, and I got a call from the dealership saying the truck was in, and I could pick it up this week. However, both the sales rep and the sales manager told me they would not give me x-plan pricing based on the MSRP from February. I could either take the MSRP from February with no x-plan, or I could have x-plan pricing based on today's MSRP, which is obviously a lot higher now.

They both claimed there is a 90 day limit to the X-plan price protection, and then gave me some excuse that they need an invoice to generate the x-plan price which they don't have until the VIN is generated which was a few weeks ago? It wasn't clear what they meant, but if that was the case, how could anyone ever lock in a price and use x-plan over the last couple of years when every custom order takes more than 3 months to deliver?

I called Ford's vehicle purchase plans department at 1-800-348-7709 and they confirmed there is NO 90 day limit on X-plan pricing from the order date.

I also have the Ford 2022 Plans Program Rules pdf (which I attached) and it also does NOT mention a 90 day limit. The only requirement is that I have had my PIN at least 90 days before the purchase date, which I have. I've had a PIN since 2/7/22 and the purchase and delivery will take place by tomorrow 8/30/22 at the earliest.

I setup my PIN through being a member of the Mustang Club of America, and I contacted them too, and again they said there's no mention of a 90 day limit.

I've made the sales person aware of all of this, and I'm still waiting for their latest response, but I'm not sure what else I can do if they don't follow the rules. I don't want to assume they are being dishonest, maybe they're just misinformed, but I do want to get the truck this week and I expect to pay the X-plan price based on the February MSRP. That's reasonable isn't it?

The sales manager has already suggested he would be happy to refund my deposit and keep the truck. Well no shit they would be happy to do that, they can mark it up $10k over today's MSRP and sell it to somebody else. But I ordered it and I want to take it home.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with X-plan pricing at their dealership? Or heard of this arbitrary 90 day limit?

Attachments

• PlanRules2022.pdf
    266.1 KB · Views: 65
Sorry to hear. I am going the same route as you with MCA but my dealer printed a sales agreement and wrote pending x-plan on the pirchase agreement. The price has gone up a little between then and now however I did the math and will save $5100 with current pricing on x-plan. To me that is worth it, not sure it is worth $1k to fight over. Did they give you the price of the truck prior to the pricing going up?

I had another call with the sales manager and it cleared things up. I guess it comes down to the fact that x-plan doesn't protect you against price increases that occur before the vehicle is built. So I'm in sort of a rare case where there's been 2 or 3 price increases in between order and delivery because of inflation and other shortages and delays. So that's why it's one or the other. It just sucks that it'll end up costing me around $3k more than I was expecting.

Sounds like the dealer wants to keep the truck and is playing games. My understanding is that the dealer is not required but encouraged to accept X plan. I don't think they can accept it for one customer and not another either. They either do or don't. On price protection, Ford makes good on that to the dealer, so they don't lose anything there.

Yea, you should be getting x plan applied to the original ordered MSRP. It’s not a one or the other thing. I would still push a bit.

I ordered beginning of March with X plan and trade in. They told me as long as the trade in was under a certain mileage I was good. I picked up last week and the dealer honored it.

I actually had the opposite experience with X plan. I put a down payment on my truck in March with AutoNation Ford in White bear lake (MN) with a signed x plan price agreement even though I did not have a pin yet. I would be eligible for my pin in July, which the dealership knew. Long story short Ford lovingly ended the X plan at the end of June unbeknownst to me or the dealership. I found out about the cancelation when I went to apply for my pin at the end of July. I called AutoNation Ford in White bear lake ( Pete was my sales guy) and told the about the issue. Unlike so many dealerships playing shady, and looking at it from only a profits perspective, they are honoring the original agreement even though they will not be receiving any of the kick backs from Ford on this deal ( I have singed paperwork and all). They see it as gaining a customer as appose to short term profit on one induvial sale. Great to see honest dealerships still out there.. I could not recommend using Pete at AutoNation Ford in White bear lake enough if your up here in Minnesota or Wisconsin enough!! Pretty shitty of dealerships out there doing these type of business transactions especially when we ALL have waited months and months for our trucks. Short term gain for long term losses is never a great business model. Still hurrying up and wait on my truck to get delivered

I actually had the opposite experience with X plan. I put a down payment on my truck in March with AutoNation Ford in White bear lake (MN) with a signed x plan price agreement even though I did not have a pin yet. I would be eligible for my pin in July, which the dealership knew. Long story short Ford lovingly ended the X plan at the end of June unbeknownst to me or the dealership. I found out about the cancelation when I went to apply for my pin at the end of July. I called AutoNation Ford in White bear lake ( Pete was my sales guy) and told the about the issue. Unlike so many dealerships playing shady, and looking at it from only a profits perspective, they are honoring the original agreement even though they will not be receiving any of the kick backs from Ford on this deal ( I have singed paperwork and all). They see it as gaining a customer as appose to short term profit on one induvial sale. Great to see honest dealerships still out there.. I could not recommend using Pete at AutoNation Ford in White bear lake enough if your up here in Minnesota or Wisconsin enough!! Pretty shitty of dealerships out there doing these type of business transactions especially when we ALL have waited months and months for our trucks. Short term gain for long term losses is never a great business model. Still hurrying up and wait on my truck to get delivered
What do you mean, “ended X-plan”? Like the company you were getting it through was no longer part of it? I just logged in to my company portal and it is very much still an applicable plan.

At least through my company site, when reading the fine print. X-plan is a voluntary program for the dealer...they are not obligated to participate. I would take what I can out of it if they are willing to honor in some capacity...in other attempted purchases, I have been told by multiple dealerships, of course when highly thought of vehicles, that they are "not participating at this time" like many mentioned because they can get above MSRP...

What do you mean, “ended X-plan”? Like the company you were getting it through was no longer part of it? I just logged in to my company portal and it is very much still an applicable plan.
If you haven't applied or previously gotten your Pin for X plan pricing before June 1st your S.O.L. (https://fordauthority.com/2022/05/ford-shareholder-vehicle-discount-program-to-end-in-june/) I cant seem to find the officially released statement from Ford right now. I was to qualify for X plan pricing via stock purchase.

At least through my company site, when reading the fine print. X-plan is a voluntary program for the dealer...they are not obligated to participate. I would take what I can out of it if they are willing to honor in some capacity...in other attempted purchases, I have been told by multiple dealerships, of course when highly thought of vehicles, that they are "not participating at this time" like many mentioned because they can get above MSRP...
I 100% understand that x plan pricing is voluntary for dealerships, I was more trying to highlight a positive experience through a dealership. People tend to vent and highlight negative experiences and tend to not do the same when they experience a positive experience.

If you haven't applied or previously gotten your Pin for X plan pricing before June 1st your S.O.L. (https://fordauthority.com/2022/05/ford-shareholder-vehicle-discount-program-to-end-in-june/) I cant seem to find the officially released statement from Ford right now. I was to qualify for X plan pricing via stock purchase.
Ahh, so it’s just ended for people who were eligible through being a share holder. So it’s no longer a perk for being a shareholder.

It’s still an applicable program for those who get it through their employer or possibly other means.

If you already have your Pin for X plan pricing your good
Ahh, so it’s just ended for people who were eligible through being a share holder. So it’s no longer a perk for being a shareholder.

It’s still an applicable program for those who get it through their employer or possibly other means.
I apologize!! I didn't clarify all that well on that, yes shareholders are SOL, other avenues still remain for X plan pricing

If you already have your Pin for X plan pricing your good

I apologize!! I didn't clarify all that well on that, yes shareholders are SOL, other avenues still remain for X plan pricing
That, and most Commercial Pricing Agreements (CPAs) have calendar years that run through June. Lots of those programs give employees of those companies x-plan pricing if purchasing personal vehicles. Ford opted to not renew a lot of those this year, so a lot of people who used to have access to x-plan through their employer no longer do.

I had another call with the sales manager and it cleared things up. I guess it comes down to the fact that x-plan doesn't protect you against price increases that occur before the vehicle is built. So I'm in sort of a rare case where there's been 2 or 3 price increases in between order and delivery because of inflation and other shortages and delays. So that's why it's one or the other. It just sucks that it'll end up costing me around $3k more than I was expecting.
You are not a "rare case", the dealership is just not being honest so that they can make more money. I havent seen anywhere that states someone using X/A/Z/D plans dont qualify for price protection. It is true that dealerships get to decide if they are going to honor those pricing plans, but when you put down a deposit you should have signed a DORA that stated what your price would be. At this point I would either hold them to that or demand your refund back and walk. I know it will suck to have to start looking for a truck again, but just out of principle I would not give money to a business that operated like this.

I may be in a similar boat myself when my truck eventually comes in. I ordered in Feb. and didnt use my x-plan at the time as the dealership I ordered through I also order a lot of fleet trucks through. They said that they would give me better than x-plan, and didnt require me to put down a deposit or sign anything, just a copy of my DL for Ford. Since I work with them a lot and had a good relationship with the GM I was alright with that. FFwd to today and we started ordering fleet vehicles through a different dealer as the original dealer has really dropped the ball on service and communication. When my truck comes in later this year I will have to sit down with the GM and see if he wants to honor the deal we verbally agreed to. If not I guess I will keep driving my 17 for a bit and wait for Ford to get oversupplied again in a few years when they will give us a CPA again for fleet sales and I get x-plan again. Hoping for the best, but preparing for not getting a new truck now.

Last edited:
It seems Ford decided when they would manufacture your truck. With that being the case, they would honor the truck, price and method based on the order date and not manufacture date since that would be the same bait and switch they are dinging the dealers on.

I think my next conversation with the dealership would start with, "I'm sure you're not trying to play games to increase your profit but I have an email drafted to Ford customer service, sales support and dealer network group to make sure we get this right. Would you like me to send it or do you want to reach out to the regional rep, first?"

i ordered mine on the X plan. The price went up twice on the sticker from when I ordered it and they honored the first quoted price when ordered

I hope this is the case, I took screen shots of the built x plan price the day I placed the order plus I have the dora and build price sheet printed out from the dealer.

Would be worth a lawyer retainer fee!

New Topics

Back