undercoating

sylerc72

Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 f-150 tremor
Did anyone go for an undercoating? I’m finding the stock General Grabber tires really fire rocks that “ting” off the underside of the truck, wondering if an undercoating might be a smart idea.

I hate undercoating. It's an old fashioned solution to a problem we don't have anymore. Plus it gunks everything up, when it cracks water can get behind it and make it worse.

The ting sounds to me like the raptor running boards catching the rocks. Nothing wrong with that, better than slapping the door panels.

I do crawl under my vehicles with a can of rust oleum satin black every oil change and squirt any bare metal/rusty spots. The rear axle on the truck is bare iron and rusts pretty quick. Not that it harms anything, it's super thick metal, but looks terrible.

I do similar to @zimm and treat any rust as I see it via rattle can (several options out there from Rustoleum, Eastwood, POR15, etc). I am also going to try CorrosionX for the first time, had used Fluid Film on prior Jeep with good results but want something similar with a little more staying/holding power but not so much a power wash in spring won't remove most. Retreating it each fall takes 30mins.

I do similar to @zimm and treat any rust as I see it via rattle can (several options out there from Rustoleum, Eastwood, POR15, etc). I am also going to try CorrosionX for the first time, had used Fluid Film on prior Jeep with good results but want something similar with a little more staying/holding power but not so much a power wash in spring won't remove most. Retreating it each fall takes 30mins.
Try amsoil hd metal protector, I used to use fluid film but that didn’t last very long and then I heard about the amsoil and it’s so much better it fully dries to the touch, keeps everything looking new and doesn’t wash off so easily.

Try amsoil hd metal protector, I used to use fluid film but that didn’t last very long and then I heard about the amsoil and it’s so much better it fully dries to the touch, keeps everything looking new and doesn’t wash off so easily.
Right on, CRC makes a product like that also, may consider for deavers when I get them but don't necessarily want that waxy hard to remove film on everything either. Not sure there's one product to rule them all, but certainly plenty of options to find what is best for each person's needs and use case and location.

The ting you're hearing is rocks or debris hitting the running boards.

the last couple cars i've owned i never sprayed. but i did power wash the under side as much as i could when the temperatures start to rose. considering the tremor will be the first vehicle i can actually slide under nicely, i might do the spot spray as well. but washing off salt is the big thing for me.

Reviving this thread….,

I’ve never treated my cars or SUVs before, but trucks seem to rust faster, so I spent the last 10 days reading everything about rust proofing.

I am leaning towards doing it myself with Cosmoline or Amsoil HD (wax based products). Linex also uses a wax product called Valugaurd, but not sure I trust them to hit all the crevices for $850. Probably do it myself with Cosmoline for $300 and spot treat as it needs it each year.

Lanolin based products seem to work and are the most popular right now, but wash off and require yearly reapplication. I’m thinking the wax will work to slow things down and not require as much maintenance as lanolin. I also don’t like the idea of not washing underneath the truck with the lanolin based products.

Any other opinions out there?

I dunno, I've worked on cars/trucks my whole life and I wouldn't want an oil/wax/wet anything coating on all the parts underneath.

The only thing I've seen rusting is the raw cast iron on the diff, some on the springs, and drive shaft. Nothing a can of Rustoleum satin black can't fix. Every time I change the oil on one of my rides, I crawl under with a can of paint the touch up anything rusty I see.

It's not like the body is going to rust and the frame is coated pretty well. Not like the old days.

I have never done any undercarriage coating. I try to frequently spray the underside of the truck to clean off road salt and debris. They have great attachments for your pressure washer that you can buy on Amazon to clean the underside of your truck.

New Topics

Back